Body composition and goal weight

Options
tameko2
tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
So I had a personal training session (first one) on Sat and she used calipers to do measurements.

I realize these are not PERFECTLY accurate (fluctuate a bit depending on who does it) but she came out with this:

"Your approximate body composition is 30% that is about 56 lbs. of fat mass and 129 lbs lean mass. "

My goal weight has been 135 -- given these measurements that means I'd be like a couple percent body fat (which is obviously unrealistic). I'm not dead set on that weight mind you but it did seem appropriate as when I was in my jr year of high school at my fittest I weighed 135 and I had about 10 lbs of fat/pudge to lose. I'm 10 years ... oh fine, 13 years older now, and I think I'm an inch taller (5'6") now AND my last low weight about 5 years ago was 145 and while I looked pretty good there, I certainly had at least 10 -20 pounds to lose (although I plan to have more muscle this time so 125 would be too thin).

I dunno, maybe those measurements were just way off or maybe I am someone who could easily get down to a lowish body fat percentage (I seem to maintain a good amount of muscle even when doing NOTHING and build it very quickly). I have previously had no intention of having that super lean body that they show in p90x commercials or anything.

Replies

• wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    we're the same height and shooting for around the same goal, I have a caliper test which puts me at 15.2% body fat, I am very lean, no fat on my upper body at all, its all on my legs - where most of my muscle is too, like you i tend to retain a lot of muscle when not working out but I have had that superlean and previous to that super skinny body, 130lbs was always my lean happy weight and fitted well for my frame, below that and i start to look skinny.

I think you've choosen a goal thats sensible for your height and I don't think you'll end up with a body fat as low as you calculated but will look good

good luck with it all x
  • goertzel
    Options
    Your body will burn both lean and fat when you diet. From what I've read with just diet you will generally lose 60% lean/40% fat. Adding exercise will help keep up the muscle mass – and more protein in the diet helps to some degree. When you get to 135 – keep at it – you will likely still be 20% fat and 80% lean.

Lean mass is also smaller but heavier which is why we often experience less weight loss when we start exercising but lose inches and move the ratio down. This is really super healthy and will help you lose more and keep it off - if you keep some exercise program - in the long run.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    anyone else?