How to build muscle?

Options
Soo I'm a 17 year old girl with a really low cal diet, and I'm a vegetarian... I exercise everyday and I've lost a lot of weight.

But I need to tone up and I can't seem to get any muscle even with almost an hour of strength exercises everyday!

What should I be doing better with diet or exercise? (my diary is open)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. It's important to have enough calories and protein if you're going to build muscle. You're only netting a couple hundred calories some days.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    a really low cal diet

This is your problem. Muscle needs fuel.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    more calories. more protein... NUTS! great source of protein! and good way to get some calories too. then strength train.
  • zadrii
    zadrii Posts: 21
    Options
    You need to eat more. It's important to have enough calories and protein if you're going to build muscle. You're only netting a couple hundred calories some days.

Eat more what exactly? Is there a certain food group/ type of food that is best for building muscle?
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat WAY more!! Especially since you are younger as well, your body needs more energy just to go through day to day activities. Try to be closer to the daily calories allowed. Be around 100 or so calories away instead of 900 or so.

Protein is the main thing you will need to eat more of go gain muscle.

Keep in mind if you aren't eating enough to sustain daily life, your body will start eating away at the muscles to give itself energy (some people think eating too little will force their body to eat fat, not always true).

Just start eating more in general. Watch your protein. Try to get that at least to what's recommended.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

Eat more what exactly? Is there a certain food group/ type of food that is best for building muscle?

You need a well-balanced diet in order to build muscle. Go to bodybuilding.com and read up on some basic nutrition articles... they will help you get started in the right direction. Once you get the fundamentals down pat- then you will be able to make informed choices. Getting random suggestions here isn't the way (no offense to anyone meant). Knowledge is the key. You can't just buy a can of "muscle growth soup." There are a lot of components that go into it so start at bodybuilding.com and read anything you can get your hands on.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

You want to be getting around 250 calories above your maintenance level and don't skimp on protein. Aim for around .8-1g of protein per pound of body weight.

What you're doing now at the extreme calorie deficit you're on is burning through muscle.
  • Jdine
    Jdine Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You need to eat way more protein! Protein is the building blocks of muscle, skin, hair, nails and almost everything else in your body. You can work out all you want but with out enough protein you will never build any muscle.. Its like trying to build a sidewalk without cement. your diet is bordering on anorexic diet.. If you dont consume more calories your body will think its starving and will shed your muscle because it has a higher caloric maintenance. Every pound of muscle requires 50-70 cal to maintain every pound of fat requires 5-7 cal. When your body does not receive enough calories it catabolizes (breaks down) your muscle to sustain it self on a low calorie diet. This is called starvation mode. If your a vegetarian try including a protein shake twice a day. 1 scoop of general whey protein is about 100 cal and will contain 20 grams of protein. drink them between your regular meals. I personally like lean sources of protein like fish, turkey, chicken breast.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

You want to be getting around 250 calories above your maintenance level and don't skimp on protein. Aim for around .8-1g of protein per pound of body weight.

What you're doing now at the extreme calorie deficit you're on is burning through muscle.

That's going to be difficult being a vegetarian. I hope you like your dairy :smile:

What is your current resistance training routine? How have your weights progressed lately?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Without a drastic life change, you can't.
  • Jdine
    Options
    You should also only be doing wt training 3 times a week. 1 exercise per muscle 3 sets of 15 reps. hit the major muscle groups chest, back, shoulders, bicep, tricep, quads, hamstrings and calves. one exercise each.. the weight should be heavy enough that you can get to 15 repetitions but not much more. if you cant get 15 reps the weight is to heavy for you. Muscle is built when you rest and not in the gym. You break down your muscle at the gym and when it heals it gets stronger, but if you break down the muscle everyday it does not get enough rest to grow or build. most muscle groups take 48-72 hours to fully recover.
  • Jdine
    Options
    Whey protein shakes! Easy way to add calories and protein.. go to your local store and buy some! drink two shakes a day in between your regular meals. Each scoop of protein will have about 100 cal and 20 grams of protein. It will make all the difference in your diet.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    http://thedoctorstv.com/

There is a video on there about protein consumption. .. whereby they said you should be getting 25g per meal. . . .
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options

That's going to be difficult being a vegetarian. I hope you like your dairy :smile:

What is your current resistance training routine? How have your weights progressed lately?

It can easily be done as a vegetarian. . you just have to have knowledge of alternate sources of protein. . such as quinoa. . . . which contains all the aminos. . . . lentils. . . black beans. .. geesh. . oh and of course protein shakes. . .
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options

Clearly you've never heard of Brendan Brazier, a professional Ironman who is vegan, or Robert Cheeke, a vegan bodybuilder. Since they live on veg diets, they clearly must be living such a "difficult" life.

To the OP, I'd suggest talking to a nutritionist...possibly one that works at your gym if you have one. They can get you on a meal plan and exercise plan that is catered directly to you and your specific needs. Sometimes people on these forums really don't have a clue what they are talking about and can steer you in the wrong direction (see quote above).
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Clearly you've never heard of Brendan Brazier, a professional Ironman who is vegan, or Robert Cheeke, a vegan bodybuilder. Since they live on veg diets, they clearly must be living such a "difficult" life.

Don't kid yourself. Of course it is difficult. It's difficult with whey and steak and it's difficult with vegan food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

To the OP, I'd suggest talking to a nutritionist...possibly one that works at your gym if you have one. They can get you on a meal plan and exercise plan that is catered directly to you and your specific needs. Sometimes people on these forums really don't have a clue what they are talking about and can steer you in the wrong direction (see quote above).
    Just because they are pros doesn't mean it's not difficult. Even pros who aren't vegan find it difficult.