Help! Always falling off the wagon

Options
Im always doing well until I give in and call it a cheat day... Then have more and more cheat days and gain back everything plus more. And on those cheat days I will just lose control and eat so so much my stomach will hurt so I know I shouldn't do it but I keep doing it anyway. But I don't want that to happen again so I need friends to keeps motivated!

Replies

• Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Possibly eating too few calories so you never feel satisfied and then go crazy?
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    Motivation can only be found from within. :)
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    You need to discover what kinds of things lead up to you cheating. Keep a diary. Try to name the emotions, the place you're in, the people you're with, the state of your most important relationships, your activities that day, if you've consumed alcohol, your frame of mind about your diet, etc.

Once you know what leads to "giving up" you can hopefully devise some strategies to help you say "No!"

What I've realized works for me is never having a spur of the moment cheat day. If I pre-plan to eat differently on a certain occasion, I'm well aware that I need to weather the aftermath. There's always an aftermath for me! After eating high sugar/high carb, I suffer a few days of struggling to control cravings. I have to find ways to distract myself, to resign to being miserable, and to be dedicated to "heal" myself with lean meat and veggies. If I stick to my plan, I'm back to my old strong self in a few days.

I know lots of people are relaxed about a cheat here and there, and promote being easy on yourself and such. That's not my approach this time around. I know that success breeds more success, and it builds if I'm dedicated to it. I have a strong vision of my future as a slim, healthy person who is at ease around food. I like to know that I'm getting a bit closer to that every day.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for :)
  • ahmedbashirgt
    ahmedbashirgt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well, that's me all the time, I'll start hitting the gym with all the motivation and then after I miss a day or two, I'll lose all my motivation.
    Any suggestion on how can I keep myself motivated?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There is no wagon. You are NOT doing well if you feel like giving in or cheating. It sounds more like you're on some kind of deprivation diet. We can all fall victim to the what-the-hell effect from time to time, but eating until stomach hurts, sounds alarming. Seek help, find out if you have an eating disorder, get treatment if you do.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Agree, forget the wagon. Rethink your approach.
    Change your life, the scale will follow.

Step one is your food journal. From now on you keep it no matter what, good bad and ugly. If you eat until you hurt, you record it just the same. No way to know for sure? Make a good faith attempt to put a number on everything. Work at it.

If you quit tracking, it's not cheating, it's quitting.

If you find yourself starting and quiting a lot maybe ask yourself if you really want to lose weight or just wish you weighed less? Just having that voice in your head nagging you to lose isn't much use. Do the process.

And you can't be constantly motivated to lose. Nobody can. You need good habits and some determination.