To get rid of big clothes or not ?

Options
I have saved most of my clothes that no longer fit. I have an array of sizes this time around and I'm still on my journey of weight loss. Have you saved your clothes? Why or why not ? If you didn't, did you regret it?

Replies

• avablissed
    avablissed Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am not at the point of getting rid of clothes yet but I am not looking forward to it.

A few years ago I decided that even tho I am plus size I shouldn't dress like crap anymore (I famously didn't buy clothes because I was always going to "lose the weight"). So I dropped a pretty penny on a work wardrobe. I have the most beautiful dresses I paid so much for.... I am going to be sad when the time comes but I will certainly be getting rid of them!

I might keep one as a reminder....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,023 Member
    Options
    There's always the tailor for quality clothes you want to keep.

I did what kshama did, though. I got rid of them.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I still, 8 years later, have 4 pairs of jeans. I will not wear them again, but I just can't get rid of them.
    My skirts and dresses I altered or passed along, t- shirts, sweaters, and tops, got sent to Goodwill.
    It took a year of maintenance before I got rid of anything.

Cheers, h.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    I generally hold onto my clothes. I wear them if I can, even if they are too big, but I know how often I've yoyoed in the past and I can't afford a new wardrobe. Several years ago I got rid of all my old thin me clothes, because I figured I would never again be that thin. The act of donating them triggered something though, and I got serious about losing weight. When I was down 35 pounds i was really wishing I had held onto those skinny jeans.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I keep the size that fits now and the size that most recently fit. Sizes further away than that are donated to Goodwill.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I kept the biggest pair of jeans I wore as a reminder for several years. The rest I gave away as soon as they were ridiculously big. I had a two year spell where I put on 20lbs but have lost those plus 16 more a year and a half ago. (grand total: 84lbs) I hung onto to those for about a year but then my sister has WLS and I passed them down to her. I do keep one size up for vacations when excess sodium blows me up like a balloon.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for replying. A lot of great advice was given!
  • Archcurl
    Archcurl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I usually try to have a few items that fit correctly. If things are too big and I wear them I'm not motivated anymore to lose more weight. But I still have old favorite skinny items I couldn't get rid of. I just purged and got rid of everything that doesn't look good anymore. Some clothes can look good when they aren't the correct sizes but if they don't then why bother keeping them if wearing them makes you miserable?
    It's just too much space to keep them
  • nani7722
    nani7722 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    As a yo-yo dieting person I am oscillating within 38-42 pants sizes for the last decade. Few times I gave my clothes that became too big, and after some time I needed them again.

I will keep all pants at least for 1-2 years after loosing and successful maintaining of my weight.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I kept them until I felt sure I wouldn't be revisiting my top weight again. I held on to some things that were tight fitting at the top weight because now they fit comfortably and I use them for lounge wear, yoga and sleep wear.

You'll know when you're ready, imo! :)
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I always keep 1 above where I am, and 1 below if that's available. I tend to range between a 10 & a 6 depending on lifestyle. In 2011 I started at a 14/16 and I have long rid myself of those clothes.
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs, which for me was several clothing sizes. Some shirts and dresses I can still wear, depending on the style. I keep what I can still wear, but I did get rid of some things that were just too big and didn't look right on me. Especially pants that were hanging on my frame or falling off. I think it's personal preference, but I just didn't see the point in keeping them as clutter when I don't ever planning on being that size again.

I do have some clothes that accommodate me at the higher range of my maintenance, so it's not like I'll suddenly have no clothes to wear if I gain 5-10 lbs.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    That trip to Goodwill was one of the most liberating days of my life! Donate.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I donate them. I've lost enough that it'll take at least another couple of years before I get back to where I was even with an immediate full reversion to my old habits. By then the clothes will be out of style.

Also, having to buy larger clothes to accommodate my waistline should I ever get to that point again is a penalty I'm more than willing to enforce upon myself. It'll force me to make a choice of buy new clothes or to lose weight to fit into the ones I have.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I donated a lot of them to the woman's shelter here in town.

It felt great and now I won't have "backups" just in case I start gaining again...nice reminder when your jeans pinch