Starting my weight gain challenge today!

Options
I'm a 22y/o recent college graduate and ready to make some changes. I'm new to the whole dieting thing. Of course in my case, I'm dieting in the opposite direction. All my life I've been made fun of for being so skinny, and I'm tired of people thinking I have an eating disorder (I eat more than most of my overweight friends!). Hopefully gaining the weight/building muscle will boost my self esteem (maybe women will finally be attracted to me :bigsmile: ) and help me feel better. I'm starting at 6' 3" and 140lbs (up 15 lbs from a year ago!) and want to gain 40lbs (mostly muscle of course) in the next year. I don't really expect to find anyone on here that can relate to being 60lbs underweight but whatever. I have just as difficult a time gaining weight as some people have losing it, so I think we are pretty similar. Here's to a good year of dieting/lifestyle change :smile:

Replies

• NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. You will be surprised there are many others here in your same boat. You'll do great!
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Ahh you have to be so small! im around 140lb, and a foot shorter than you!!
    Good luck on your journey though : 3.
  • Dying2liveagain
    Options
    Protein protein protein. And tons of weights. Very little cardio. 8-)
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm a 22y/o recent college graduate and ready to make some changes. I'm new to the whole dieting thing. Of course in my case, I'm dieting in the opposite direction. All my life I've been made fun of for being so skinny, and I'm tired of people thinking I have an eating disorder (I eat more than most of my overweight friends!). Hopefully gaining the weight/building muscle will boost my self esteem (maybe women will finally be attracted to me :bigsmile: ) and help me feel better. I'm starting at 6' 3" and 140lbs (up 15 lbs from a year ago!) and want to gain 40lbs (mostly muscle of course) in the next year. I don't really expect to find anyone on here that can relate to being 60lbs underweight but whatever. I have just as difficult a time gaining weight as some people have losing it, so I think we are pretty similar. Here's to a good year of dieting/lifestyle change :smile:

Wow 6' 3" and only 140lbs? Must have a crazy fast metabolism. I'm an athlete, 5' 8" and weigh 165lbs.
    Realistically you are unlikely to put on 40lbs of mostly muscle in one year but you are definitely on the right track. Perhaps strength train 3-4 times a week and minimise cardio as someone with your characteristics is likely to cannibalise muscle easily. Start eating at least 2500-3000 calories a day and then track your progress over a month or two and adjust accordingly.

Good luck!
  • Ellsqueak
    Options
    My partner has a similar problem (sometimes we look a bit too little and large for my liking but that's another story). Knowing him has given me a new appreciation for how hard it is to break *any* type of eating habits.

Good luck!
  • laureneva15
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

You're in the right place :)