sauna weight loss

Options
hey...well just had this question...do you guys use the sauna regularly ? does it help lose weight? or help in any other way? thanx

Replies

• lugovelb
    lugovelb Posts: 60
    Options
    There are a lot of myths about sauna weight loss and controversy. the link below has some information about myth and reality on saunas.

http://www.weightlosstips.co.uk/sauna-weight-loss-myth-or-reality/
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You might sweat out some water and weigh less because you are dehydrated but you aren't going to lose weight sitting in a sauna.

Eating less and exercising more is going to be more effective!
  • gponter79
    gponter79 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I use the steam room in my gym on every visit which will have a similar effect to a sauna I guess. Sadly I believe you won't lose any weight in there as it's just designed to flush out your system and clean out your pores, as soon as you drink a glass of water it will put back in what came out. However my skin always feels completely fresh when I come out and I hardly get any spots or anything like that any more. Just my thoughts and I may be wrong. Google it and post your findings.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    from what I understand it doesnt really help with weight loss but has lots of other health benefits. Though my MIL swears by it lol and wears a plastic suit in there every time she works out. But......anyways. I use it for relaxing at the end of my work out. Cooling down more slowly and for stretching. Also sometime I use it to warm up and stretch before my work out. It helps me "rev" up if I am not really feeling it when I get to the gym
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I love the sauna, but it's not going to help you lose weight. If you are spending a long time in the sauna then you should be hydrating yourself adequately. Working out in the sauna can be downright dangerous, as can spending excessive amount of times in one. I read the other day that Katie Holmes spends up to 8 hours at a time in the sauna. Don't know if it's true, but that's crazy! Apparently it was something to do with Scientology IDK.
  • ayeshakane
    ayeshakane Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone......that really helped :smile:
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I love the sauna, but it's not going to help you lose weight. If you are spending a long time in the sauna then you should be hydrating yourself adequately. Working out in the sauna can be downright dangerous, as can spending excessive amount of times in one. I read the other day that Katie Holmes spends up to 8 hours at a time in the sauna. Don't know if it's true, but that's crazy! Apparently it was something to do with Scientology IDK.

She was doing the Purification Rundown to detox her body. In includes treadmill, clean eating, vitamins, and taking different oils so that your body can release the bad fat (which is filled with toxins)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I love going to the sauna. Like everyone else here - I believe it's not a tool for weight loss but does have other healthy benefits. Opens your pores and let's toxins out and relaxes you! If any of you are in the Chicago or Dallas area, google the King spa and sauna....the place is amazing.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    We have a sauna in the fitness center at my apartment. The hubby and I relax in there a lot during the cooler months. According to my BodyMedia Fit I don't burn any more or less calories sitting around in the sauna than I do when I'm sitting around on the couch. So I doubt that sitting in one is going to help weight loss. But it sure is relaxing and makes your skin feel great. I did also find that if i had a high sodium day and we sat in the sauna, I didnt have as bad of a bloat from the sodium the next day.