Cardio Intervals

Options
Anyone got any tips on Cardio intervals, or any good Interval workouts you've been doing?
Thanks

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Treadmill at 12.5kph, 1% incline.
    Every 30 secs, increase by 1%, until you HAVE to hit stop.
    Rest 1min
    Repeat to complete 20mins
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Er, weirdly enough, Dance Central on the Kinect is great once you get past a bit of learning curve (very small, one day if you are used to video games, maybe a few more days if you are not) and once you are familiar enough with the songs to know which ones are higher paced in terms of movement and things. I just did it for 55 minutes straight (my record) and it was awesome.

You basically spend about 2-3 minutes jumping around and waving your arms (in a controlled way, its really helped my muscles in my arms, back, sides, and shoulders) and then about 20-30 seconds (never timed it) simultaneously catching your breath and selecting the next song you want to do.

Like I said, there's a bit of a learning curve but then its so challenging and fun -- you can't slow down or half-@$$ the moves because the game doesn't give you any points then! (I am so motivated by meaningless point systems!)
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I do 50seconds of jump rope, then 10seconds rest for 10-15 minutes. Fantastic cardio workout. There are so many ways you can do intervals... 2 minutes walking/ jogging then 1 minute running, 30-45seconds flat out then 1 minute recovery...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    1. get 70lb kettlebell
    2. swing it 25 times
    3. rest 1min
    4. repeat steps 3 &4 a few times

VERY effective!
  • slytheslayer
    Options
    I like The insanity Program especially the pure cardio or plyometric cardio circuit.. It is def high intensity and great cardio.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i sometimes do interval training when i go jogging... jog the long side of a football pitch, sprint the short side etc, but i dont know how to log it as i can only find general jogging. can anyone help??
  • gailosborne
    Options
    1. get 70lb kettlebell
    2. swing it 25 times
    3. rest 1min
    4. repeat steps 3 &4 a few times

VERY effective!

beast!

I live near some bridges so I run up the hundred steps two at a time, then walk down slowly/wait til the minute is up then go again and do this five or six times!
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Many cardio machines will have pre-programmed options that simulate intervals. For example, the "Weight Loss" program on the treadmill at my apartment's fitness room is similar to this: brisk walk for 1 minute at 0 degree incline, brisk walk for 2 minutes at 10 degree incline, another brisk walk for 1 minute at 0 degree incline, then jog/run at 0 degree incline for 1 minute...then repeat it all. Play around with the programs and see what works best for you.