What am I lacking?

Options
What am I lacking? My hair is dry and coming out more than normal and my nails are brittle and flaking. What am I lacking in my diet that is causing this? Any ideas?

And if anyone says nut butter or protein I'm gonna come and whoop your *kitten*! Ha ha!

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Nut protein. Bahahahaha!
  • bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    A multi vitamin???
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I haven't learned that kind of stuff yet as far as what you need to eat. But I could suggest maybe a multi-vitamin. Maybe even a pre-natal?
  • brittany33107
    Options
    i would say calcium
  • CavewomanCoby
    CavewomanCoby Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Fish oil, and general good fats I think :D
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    COLLAGEN! if it's not protein it's collagen. red and green fruits and veggies. anything with antioxidants. and idk if it's true but my mom claims eating jello everyday helps her hair and nails...

EDT: collagen can effect skin, nails, eyes, hair and sooo much more.
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Could be any number of things or a combo of things... I was on a medical supervised diet last year and they gave me tons of vitamins because I would be consuming virtually no fat and therefore no fat soluble vitamins like A, D, & K. Dry hair brittle nails were something they mentioned but I don't remember which specific vit it was related to - I think A but its been a while.

Look through your diary and see where your fat sits (as in - is it too low?) and look at your vit count and then adjust your meals from there.... if that doesn't help I would take some vitamins, at least a daily multipurpose, and make an appointment with your dr to find out what is going on. While dry hair and brittle nails aren't huge things, they could be a sign of something more serious if you can't easily pinpoint the problem...

Good Luck to you!
  • ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    Options
    did she say nut, protein and "come" all in the same sentence?
  • mbroeckelmanpost
    mbroeckelmanpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Protein, collagen, oils, perhaps? If you aren't already, try taking a good multivitamin and a fish oil supplement-- and make sure you're eating enough calories. (I have no idea how many you are/aren't eating or what kind of nutrition you're putting into your meals--but this is often a sign of malnutrition.)
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    A multivitamin with Biotin in it. Also, a diet with good fats (Olive oil. nuts, fish oil) in it will help you a ton. Helps with dry skin, dry hair.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options

LMAO Captain! I love YOU!!! hhahahahhahaa!
  • bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Don't forget *kitten*!! haha
  • AJay513
    AJay513 Posts: 187
    Options
    I'd say start taking a multi vitamin for sure and try some fish oil!
  • NewLife_11
    NewLife_11 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer in 2005 and you may want to get your Thyroid checked these are symptoms of Thyroid Disease. Hopefully you just need a multi-vitamin.
  • djcrossover
    Options
    It's the Vitamin E!!!! your lacking in.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Balance!
    Are you meeting your targets for carbs, protein and fats? Do you eat fresh fruit and veggies?

If you are eating a balanced diet you shouldn't need to add processed and expensive multivitamin tablets.
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Options
    Have a read of this :)

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/brittle-nails-and-hair-loss.html

I take a multi vitamin, evening primrise oil, vitamin b6 and cod liver oil. My joints click when I workout so I hope cod liver oil starts working soon!
  • catfreak147
    Options
    You may have low levels of ferratin - very much associated with hair loss. The solution is iron tablets but I'd check with a blood test first
  • littlemisskitty24
    Options
    You've changed your diet dramatically to reduce calorie intake and increased your exercise levels, so you need to up your green vegetables and get a good omega 3 fats in your diet, from oily fish. So if you can't do that get a multi vit. I had all of those things when I did the lighterlife diet and was following a really low calorie diet, you miss all your vital nutrients.
  • Slinkybaz
    Slinkybaz Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone - I have bought a Nail, Hair & Skin specific supplement - I'll see how that works out. Otherwise I'll come back for offers of protein and nut butter!