To get rid of big clothes or not ?

Options

Replies

• 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    So I have gotten rid of clothes only to be that size again. After one winter I donated my winter coat with the thinking that next winter it would be so big on me. Yup, had to buy a new winter coat that year; I forget if it was the same size or bigger. And when I have lost 50 - 60 , a few different times, I just kept wearing the same clothes. No wonder no one noticed I lost weight. Oh and here's a thought - one time, long ago, I was on this program, and got down to a 5/6. I did buy new clothes but they all had elastic waists. So I started putting the weight back on and never ever felt it in my clothes.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Still have saved my clothes but i tailor them as i go a long. I learned how to sew for that same purpose. Once they start looking weird, i'll probably have to get rid of them, but for now it works.
  • Rooskie73
    Rooskie73 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    There is a consignment shop near me for plus sizes only. She takes clothing from 14's on up. She used to just take 16's on up, but many of her customers have lost weight, so she is accommodating them. I have been taking clothing there for many years. When I take things in, I get to shop for me from the goodies that other women have brought in. Everything is clean and in good condition. When she has super sales, I buy things cheap that I can take on trips with me (Europe), and if I need space in my suitcase, I leave those items behind so I can have room for my souvenirs. I am rambling.
    :p
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Dropped from 40 down to 33 at the waist when I lost 38# from 196 to 158.

The only clothes that don't fit anymore are pants and belts. Bought new pants and belts as I dropped weight. Due to vanity sizing, I wore a size 36 (men's) even though my waist was 40 at the largest and now wear a size 32 even though my waist is 33.

I really don't have that many now oversized pants and belts that I can't wear anymore. The frugal part of me abhors the idea of throwing or giving away anything that is in good condition and still potentially useful.

I've got more than enough room to keep them and I do not feel "at risk" of regaining weight just because I know they are still there.

In fact, knowing that they are there is motivation for me to NEVER gain weight to allow them to fit again. In fact, it's a ego boost to mistakenly put on one of these items only to find them too large.

So, I'm keeping them right where they are as a reminder of what I accomplished and as inspiration to maintain my weight right where it is and has been for the past 9 months.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I kept a few things which were of sentimental value, and donated the rest. One decision I regret is that I earlier donated anything smaller than a size 14 "because let's face it, you will never be that small again." Well... my size 14 clothes are too big for me now, and I wish I had kept some things. But realistically they were years old, the styles were out of date, and my lifestyle needs have changed anyway. Buying all new clothes may be a pain and an expense, but it's something I needed to do.

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Dropped from 40 down to 33 at the waist when I lost 38# from 196 to 158.

The only clothes that don't fit anymore are pants and belts. Bought new pants and belts as I dropped weight. Due to vanity sizing, I wore a size 36 (men's) even though my waist was 40 at the largest and now wear a size 32 even though my waist is 33.

I really don't have that many now oversized pants and belts that I can't wear anymore. The frugal part of me abhors the idea of throwing or giving away anything that is in good condition and still potentially useful.

I've got more than enough room to keep them and I do not feel "at risk" of regaining weight just because I know they are still there.

In fact, knowing that they are there is motivation for me to NEVER gain weight to allow them to fit again. In fact, it's a ego boost to mistakenly put on one of these items only to find them too large.

So, I'm keeping them right where they are as a reminder of what I accomplished and as inspiration to maintain my weight right where it is and has been for the past 9 months.

I think my thoughts align mostly with what you shared. Thank you.
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I didn't buy any new clothes until I was two sizes down. I got rid of everything that was too big (bar one top that looks brilliant now when it's belted or tucked in and a pair of jeans that must have shrunk) by donating it.

I gained weight without noticing because it was easier. Now I will definitely notice if my clothes don't fit. I love my new wardrobe.... Only problem is some of my new stuff is getting a little bit sloppy looking :/
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I've gotten rid of everything as I've gotten smaller.
  • jarelary4
    jarelary4 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I went from a size 20 to a 16 so far. I modeled all my clothes for my husband and if he said they didn't look good on me they went into a pile to sell. He likes clothes that show off my body, not hide it and he tells me all the time how good I look. So I chose to believe him and toss all my oversize stuff. ALL of it got sold. I tell myself I will never let myself get to that size again and it's pointless to keep clothes that don't fit. I used an online yard sale page on Facebook, took pictures and sold everything for a good price. To me it was worth it to get rid of stuff that is too big on me. Now I have a new wardrobe with clothes that look good on me. My husband took me shopping and helped me pick out what looks best on me. I value his opinion and he has really helped me see I don't need to his behind a tent.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I went from size 16 to size 4/6. I got rid of everything size 12 and up. I gained back 25 of the 72 lbs. I'm in size 8/10 (mediums) right now, so I'm glad I have some things.
  • jeanstudies
    jeanstudies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Over two and a half years I've lost a 100 pounds and went from a 24W to a 14/16. So yes, I've definitely donated a LOT of clothes. I would suggest put the too-big nice stuff in boxes or crates and wait a few months to see if you still don't want them. Most of my bigger stuff was cheap and ugly so it was an easy decision.

Fortunately (for decades, in some cases) I kept all the smaller size stuff that I had bought when they didn't fit, and so every few months I go through it again, and keep/toss that stuff too. I really don't care if they're still in style!

All in all I say this is a good problem for you to have, congratulations!!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Simple question for every garment: Does it serve me? Do I love it, does it flatter me and in good shape?

In general if any of the above is no it is the time to say goodbye.

I've gone down 8 sizes and I have a few items that I keep because it is adjustable. I allow one set of oversized clothes for yardwork or the like.

But otherwise one has to let go and make room for what you are now rather than hold on.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I kept my go - to fat jeans for comparison purposes. That's all I kept.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I donated my size 8 clothes. Size 4 is getting big and I can't fit into a size 2.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get rid of most of my clothes as they become too big for me. I'm going to keep one pair of pants for comparison, to remind me where I was and where I never want to go again.

The rest I'm getting rid of. I know that if I have them, I'll wear them. Even if they are too big and sloppy. Of that are too big and I'm not very very very very careful, I will gain weight and be able to wear them again. History has proven that time and again.

Besides, I'm losing 150ish pounds, when I'm 150 I won't be able to wear a size 30 pair of pants. Even with a belt.

Getting rid of them didn't mean I wouldn't gain weight in the past, but I'm determined that this is the last time I'm losing this much weight (I've never seriously tried to lose this much weight, but I'm more organized and in a better place mentally than I was the last time I lost a significant amount of weight). This time will be different.

So I'm going to donate them as I lose. Probably every other size, like drop a size but keep wearing it anyway. I can only afford to buy clothes so often. Even at thrift stores.
  • saraonly9913
    Options
    Over two and a half years I've lost a 100 pounds and went from a 24W to a 14/16. So yes, I've definitely donated a LOT of clothes. I would suggest put the too-big nice stuff in boxes or crates and wait a few months to see if you still don't want them. Most of my bigger stuff was cheap and ugly so it was an easy decision.

Fortunately (for decades, in some cases) I kept all the smaller size stuff that I had bought when they didn't fit, and so every few months I go through it again, and keep/toss that stuff too. I really don't care if they're still in style!

All in all I say this is a good problem for you to have, congratulations!!

Thank you for the congratulations! I'd have to agree, it is a good problem to have! I think I'm going to wait until I can maintain my weight for a year. I'm not even at goal weight yet.
  • saraonly9913
    Options
    jesslla wrote: »
    I'm going to get rid of most of my clothes as they become too big for me. I'm going to keep one pair of pants for comparison, to remind me where I was and where I never want to go again.

The rest I'm getting rid of. I know that if I have them, I'll wear them. Even if they are too big and sloppy. Of that are too big and I'm not very very very very careful, I will gain weight and be able to wear them again. History has proven that time and again.

Besides, I'm losing 150ish pounds, when I'm 150 I won't be able to wear a size 30 pair of pants. Even with a belt.

Getting rid of them didn't mean I wouldn't gain weight in the past, but I'm determined that this is the last time I'm losing this much weight (I've never seriously tried to lose this much weight, but I'm more organized and in a better place mentally than I was the last time I lost a significant amount of weight). This time will be different.

So I'm going to donate them as I lose. Probably every other size, like drop a size but keep wearing it anyway. I can only afford to buy clothes so often. Even at thrift stores.

I'm hoping this time will be different for me to. I really need to be able to maintain once I get to goal weight!
  • saraonly9913
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I enjoyed reading every single one of them. Congratulations on your weight loss accomplishments!
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    jesslla wrote: »

I'm hoping this time will be different for me to. I really need to be able to maintain once I get to goal weight!

We can do it! Just gotta remember what we learn during weight loss and keep doing what worked than.

I'll probably end up tracking and measuring the rest of my life, and I'm OK with that. It doesn't take much time, and it works. I'm learning to like exercise, which will help too.