The mother in law

Options
I am going to stay with the mother in law for 4 days soon and dreading it because all the food is fried and unhealthy , she would be affended if i dont eat her food what should i do? please help x

Replies

• _Sonia_
    _Sonia_ Posts: 40
    Options
    Uhh... tell her your doctor has you on a special food regimen for your health? :)

But really, what's the worst that could happen if you tell her that while you love the food she cooks, fried food often upsets your stomach, so you need to take a break from it? Reassure her that you won't make extra work for her--bring some stuff with you maybe--and make it clear that it's not a criticism of her (even if she takes it as such!).

Good luck.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Tell her the truth and explain how MFP works. Let her know that you are trying to be healthy for yourself and her son.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    oh dear...the dreaded mother in law....:explode: .for 30 years mine has been saying...'are you on a diet' if I don't eat EVERYTHING she hands out....ahhhhhhhhhhhh :sad: :sad: :sad: And I'm now 50!!! :blushing:

So...after just sympathising and not really advising..I'd go with the blame it on the doctor routine....special 'diet' but be ready with ALL the answers to ALL the questions....and take your own main meals....

GOOD LUCK :laugh: :laugh:
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Tell her the truth and explain how MFP works. Let her know that you are trying to be healthy for yourself and her son.

Novel approach....obviously NOT from a female with a mother in law problem!!!
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Novel approach....obviously NOT from a female with a mother in law problem!!!

I'm female, and that's exactly what I'd do/say!

I don't see the point in telling fibs or making excuses - the next time the OP stays with her MIL, the same situation will crop up again. Why not be honest about it? I'd even offer to do all the cooking to give my MIL a break!
  • BeckyEspin
    BeckyEspin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thanks for your replies everyone ill tell her the truth , thats a brill idear about cooking her a few meals it will take the pressure off her but also be healthy x
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    And remember that portions are key... even if you eat some unhealthy stuff, you don't have to overdo it. Perhaps offer to make a side dish for each meal, then you know there is one healthier option, add a bit of her cooking and you should be OK.
  • teens62
    teens62 Posts: 39
    Options
    Yes,, Id offer to do some of the cooking ,, she may even enjoy it,, tell her she needs a well deserved break, take your cooking spray.and if she does do a big fry up, add a huge salad,, tell her your addicted to lettuce,, you cant go without it,,LOL good luck chicky>}
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    tell her you are on a diet, and you can't eat it... tell her you don't want to upset her routine, so you'll prepare your own food if that's easier for her, but that you don't want to ruin all your hard work by eating salty, fried food.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Ugh. The only way I'd be staying with my mother-in-law for 4 whole days is if I was being held hostage.
  • MelissaJ20
    Options
    Tell her the truth and explain that you are doing it to improve your health. If she doesn't understand that is not your problem, you are doing it to improve your health, she should be proud of you.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    i saw you opted to try to tell her the truth, i think in my opinion thats the best idea. I have to say both of my mother in laws would completely understand and work with it, but then maybe I'm not the norm as I happen to like both of them and even though neither allow help in the kitchen due to controlling natures, they still would change things to make it more healthy if asked.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I love my husband's stepmother but she makes some seriously unhealthy foods. She knows I watch calories so I will eat a little of the unhealthy stuff and load up on veggie sides, like a salad. She always makes sure there are healthy side options, especially things I can load up on (like salad) if the main dish is extremely unhealthy. Even just requesting having a salad with dinner will let you eat a little of the fried stuff but keep on track.
  • rachel1496
    Options
    Ugh. The only way I'd be staying with my mother-in-law for 4 whole days is if I was being held hostage.

Agreed. The last time I told her we were trying to eat healthier she accused me of tying to starve her son.
  • KellysDiet78
    Options
    Yep definitely tell her the truth.. just say your dieting and cant eat it.. might be worth you bringing some of your own food and tell her not to be offended. If you've got a good relationship with her then you should feel confident telling her, but seeing as you put a post up for advice i'd imagine you are worried about it.. If you are really worried about offending her and cant bring yourself to tell her, maybe just take the food but eat smaller portions maybe ?
    I know if it was me i would just say I cant eat it.. no one is going to stop me getting the weight off.. so stick to your guns!
    good luck x
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would just go with the flow and eat her food - in very small portions. It's only four days and if she's a nice lady otherwise, why upset her by telling her that her food is unhealthy?

My little girls are staying with my MIL at the moment for the week and they'll be eating white bread, fish fingers, McDonalds, sweets and blackcurrant juice. Not exactly their normal diet. But you know what, they're having a fantastic time, and they love my MIL and she loves the girls dearly. As long as they're all happy, I'm happy.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    We just did that a few weeks ago - we ate out most days, one day was a party, and one day she made a nice meal. I just carefully watched my portions and then was really careful the week after we came back - I gained 5 lb and then removed it all again. Most of it was probably bloating and water weight from the sodium increase....

I did try and talk with her about it (Using two boxes of pasta for four people is waaaay too much) but she didn't seem too interested so I watched out for myself instead and it helped that breakfast and lunch were on our own.

Really, for vacation, family visits, etc, just do your best and don't kick yourself, it will come off again once you are home and eating better!