Tabata

Options
does anyone know how to key in Tabata as part of the daily exercise check in ?????

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Put in what you did.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,806 Member
    Options
    Put in what you did.

Yeah. Tabata is a protocol, not an exercise. People do calisthenics, high-rep weight machine circuits, cycling, rowing, and more in a Tabata format. Use the closest exercise type in the database.
  • nw623
    nw623 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I usually just put it in as calisthenics in cardio.
  • WildBill_CQ
    WildBill_CQ Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Traditional Tabata is 8 "sets" of 20 Seconds HIGH and 10 Seconds REST, before starting the next 20 Seconds... Regardless of exercise could you "time it" to get your correct calorie burn?
  • jjreverse
    jjreverse Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yea I average how I feel and how many times I almost puked and roughly gage that against running at 7mph which I know is close to 100 calories per 10 min. Most often my guess would be 150 calories per 10 min OF WORK. Also, I don’t always do the extreme stuff like burpees, jump squats, and high box jumps. MyFP does kinda suck for logging exercises, especially those that involve resistance or hybrid workouts. I log some resistance training now as “cardio” to then at least keep rough track of calories.
    Tabatas are awesome btw, challenging yet feasible at least for yours truly.
    J
  • elsjoblom
    elsjoblom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After reading a few articles on this I have found a good estimate of 13-15 cal per min. One article put said "It would take five times the amount of typical cardio exercise, like a 20-minute brisk walk, to shed the same number of calories that result from a 4-minute Tabata,". Using the calculator here I typed in my weight 218 and a 5mph walk gave me 264 Cal (13.2 cal per min)...so I just created and custom exercise called it Tab 1 and made it 13 cal per min. and however long I work out I just put the length. Hope this helps, if anyone else has any thoughts on my logic let me know.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    When I do a 4 min tabata routine (8x20 secs wk w/10 sec breaks) on my Concept2 rower, the monitor only logs it at about 45 cals, even though I'm rowing at a rate of about 1100 cal/hr, because I am only actively rowing for 8x20 secs or a total of 160 secs.

The calculation would be: 160 sec/60=2.667 min/60 mins=0.0444 cals/hr x1100 cal/hr =48.9 cals burned in 2.667 mins.

This is why a tabata HIIT routine does NOT and is NOT intended to be used to burn cals. It was a method used to measure aerobic capacity which has some aerobic and anaerobic benefit if done periodically but is NOT a routine intended to be part of a regular workout routine.