Completing my first strongman competition

Options
Having just completed my first strongman competition was a great thing. 8 years ago I could not do a push-up! For 2 years its been on my list of things to try so I did.

I started working out at 39, started serious lifting at 42. I am now just 48.

I would encourage anyone after something different to consider Strongman/woman training.

In full disclosure my weight held me back especially on the carry event, which was a prime motivator for getting back to shedding some and thus signing up to MFP, I have gotten quite large around the gut!

Most Strongman competitions are 5 events, this one had 4, whatever, it was free to join and open call so I signed up at the last minute on Meetup and went for it

7 competitors in men's, 3 in women's, no weight classes

Results below
  • Overhead log press, 2nd place
  • Deadlift, first place - leaving me tied for first, a great start! But...
  • Farmers carry, 4th, did not drop weights problem was speed
  • Truck pull - muscle spasms prevented me from proper position, so had to stand and pull only with arms :( 6th place

Fun factor was 10/10.

The beautiful thing I am learning about Strongman is its not a big ego sport, and everyone supports each other, even competitors will cheer you on like you are their first born.

Competing really demonstrated to me just where I have been neglecting things and I intend to do much better in the next.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Awesome!

I'm with you, starting powerlifting this year at 42 years old. So fun!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Sounds like you had an awesome time too :)
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Dude, that is AWESOME. I turn 55 next week and have considered starting the Starting Strength program. I've only been here about a month on MFP. I'm looking at fighting Father time and kicking his butt.
    It's been over a year since I worked out. Before my workouts were more overall body circuit training. But now I want to go for strength. So, any advice you can offer... I'll take it.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    So cool! Congrats!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    That sounds like you had a super awesome time! I've been wanting to do strongwoman but wasn't sure I could do it. I do powerlifting now so maybe one day I can do strongman too! Sounds like great fun! Congrats on your achievements!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!