SIDE STITCHES... please help!

Options
Hey everyone. The past three weeks I have started to build up my cardio endurance by running. However, on some days the side stitches/ cramping is so bad I can't stand up straight or even breathe it seems, so I have to stop. I am not dehydrated at all, I drink plenty of fluids and I also have a healthy diet, plenty of carbs and protein. Some days Its fine other days, it ruins my workout!!! Any suggestions or tips I would appreciate very much!

Replies

• bobs_god
    bobs_god Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Having the same issue would be interested to find out others suggestions
  • lindsey_mickeyd
    lindsey_mickeyd Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The only suggestion I've been given that has worked for me so far is to breathe quicker. Breathe deeply when you need to of course, but instead of taking SLOW deep breaths, make them QUICK deep breaths. I used to have problems with side stitches ALOT, but after I tried this technique, I rarely have problems with them anymore. I hope this works for you!
  • jpooley1988
    jpooley1988 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/291647-how-to-get-rid-of-a-bad-runner-s-stitch

See the above thread!! There are lots of suggestions on there. It really helped me because I had the same problem :)

Hope this help!
  • Charsmithers
    Charsmithers Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i suffer from them and dont know quite why, do you eat before you run ?? im told to leave at least a 2 hour gap between eating and running! and make sure you do stretches before you go out...its the only advice i have sorry!

hope it all sorts it self out for you soon
  • Kichelchen
    Kichelchen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you get them, walk on your tip toes, arms in the air like your trying to touch the sky, stretching really hard and breathing deeply and they should be gone in a sec. Also, if you get them, it means that you're pushing yourself too hard, slow it down if you feel them coming, walk for a few seconds in between. Oh, and don't forget to enjoy yourself, if it becomes a chore, it's no good!! Good luck :) xx
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I get them ALL the time and a friend of mine is runner and he said to lean INTO the stich to get rid of it and try keep your back straight when running/jogging. This helps me sometimes, but usually i just need to take my inhaler.

Hope it gets better for you! :-)
  • Fliegenschwein
    Fliegenschwein Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I get them if I run too soon after eating which is one of the reasons I like to go early in the day.