Mattress Recommendations

Options
fhorn813
fhorn813 Posts: 163 Member
So, last night our sleep number bed collapsed on us. While we were sleeping in it! :neutral:

The plastic support beams simply split and fell apart. They are sending out new ones in a few days, but I'm pretty over it. We've had this bed for a little over six years now, and have had to replace the mattress topper multiple times because it just disintegrates. I'm getting tired of throwing money at it.

Both my husband and I are on the heavier side (I'm ~250lbs. I think he's a bit less.) He prefers a firmer bed, where I like a softer one. Hence why we went with the Sleep Number disaster. Obviously, we won't do that again.

Any recommendations for a bed we aren't going to hate after a few months?

Replies

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I bought a Trump Hotel Collection mattress at a Sams club for like $400. Have had it for a couple years and it's great. Not sure if they sell it anymore, but worth looking into. Another one I liked was made out of latex/rubber and was super comfortable, but obviously smelled like rubber and was on the expensive side.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    I clicked on this thread and now have an advertisement for Casper mattresses on here. Maybe you should take a look at them.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have a beauty rest and it's pretty nice. I've had it for over a year and so far so good.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Try them out and find what you like. Wait until one of four or so mattress sale events that come up each year (e.g., President’s Day). The top brands cost the same wherever you buy them, and the sales occur at the same times (manufacturers set the prices). I’ve bought two excellent mattresses through Macy’s, saving quite a bit, 18 months no interest financing, free delivery, set up, removal of old mattress... Looked around a lot and when I did the math, really just about exactly the same everywhere. Expect to pay at least $1,000 for a good mattress (after discount).

• ChiChiDoesStuff
    ChiChiDoesStuff Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    fhorn813 wrote: »
    So, last night our sleep number bed collapsed on us. While we were sleeping in it! :neutral:

The plastic support beams simply split and fell apart. They are sending out new ones in a few days, but I'm pretty over it. We've had this bed for a little over six years now, and have had to replace the mattress topper multiple times because it just disintegrates. I'm getting tired of throwing money at it.

Both my husband and I are on the heavier side (I'm ~250lbs. I think he's a bit less.) He prefers a firmer bed, where I like a softer one. Hence why we went with the Sleep Number disaster. Obviously, we won't do that again.

Any recommendations for a bed we aren't going to hate after a few months?

I don't have a recommendation. But I just wanted to say I like your profile pic.
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I recently bought a BeautyRest (Firm) and have no regrets.

It was 50% off at Matress firm with box spring and metal frame. Great deal for that price.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    Options
    mattress ? mattress ?

I usually have to sleep here:

doghouse2.jpg

no mattress.
  • fhorn813
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will go out mattress shopping during the next sale season and see what we can find. I don't mind the investment if it will actually give both of us a good night's sleep.

I was considering trying Purple, but I've gotten mixed reviews on it. I'll probably just go with a traditional one at this point.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I 100% know that tons of people will roll their eyes at me for this, but...

I love my tempurpedic mattress more than just about any other item in our house. I've had it about 6 years, and seriously - SERIOUSLY, I've never slept so well and my nagging neck and back pain are all but eliminated. It sounds lame to say this, but I genuinely think that mattress has improved my quality of life.

It cost a freaking fortune, but it was worth every single penny. And of course, now, there are so many other memory foam mattresses on the market that you can probably get just as good a mattress for a more affordable price. When I bought mine, there weren't many other choices, and the ones that were available were newish, so there wasn't really any data available on their longevity. If I were mattress shopping now, I might choose a different brand.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    Options
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    mattress ? mattress ?

I usually have to sleep here:

doghouse2.jpg

no mattress.

You just can't be good ?

No.

It's unpossible...
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Two pieces of cardboard and some newspaper
  • sranney2
    sranney2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    We love our Ghost Bed. 900 for a king size. It’s similar to a Casper Bed, but it has more edge support. Yes really 900! We bought an adjustable Tenpuroedic for 5,000, didn’t love it,so we retuned it and got this instead. If we tire of it after 5 years , that’s ok. 900 bucks, I’m good. This is a great site for mattress reviews
    http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/
  • fhorn813
    Options
    did you ever find the mattress that you and your husband like?

I am losing the battle for a new one at the moment, until this one completely dies. I feel the need to help it along... >:)
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I have a temper-pedic and HATE it. It's been replaced once because one side dropped and sagged and overall it's not very comfortable (to me) I toss and turn and wake up multiple times a night. This bed hasn't lived up to all its hype. Spent way too much money to sleep so *kitten*!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I bought my mattress at the grocery store I cannot help you.

Tell the whole story, you actually bought it from the shady looking dude in the grocery store parking lot.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I bought my mattress at the grocery store I cannot help you.

Tell the whole story, you actually bought it from the shady looking dude in the grocery store parking lot.

ARNOLD IS NOT SHADY

He told you his name is Arnold? When I bought my genuine rolex from him he told me his name is Stan.