Replies

• Bubbaistrying
    Bubbaistrying Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yes. Feel free to add me.
  • Piperx222
    Piperx222 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yep! Anxiety / stress comfort eating is one of my biggest challenges.

Feel free to add me :)
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I am a stress eater, feel free to add! Been at this for a long time and I log daily :):)
  • mamabear1114
    mamabear1114 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Here here. Today is day #1 for me. :)
  • ChiChiDoesStuff
    ChiChiDoesStuff Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as all of y'all. Cooking and eating helps me focus less on the negative. I would love to hear any tips any of y'all may have. Feel free to add me if you want!
  • New55me
    New55me Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Here here. Today is day #1 for me. :)

Well done! Keep us posted
  • New55me
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I saw this on Facebook yesterday: Food is the most abused anxiety drug. Exercise is the most under-used anti-depressant

Very much so
  • New55me
    Options
    Hi guys. Come on share your tricks for when you feel down. What makes you feel good?
  • cprobertson12
    cprobertson12 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I enjoy creating things: the trick to comfort eating (in my case - I cannot vouch for anybody else I'm afraid!) is to distract myself enough that I didn't feel like eating just to feel better - to this end I often create things.

I'm a mad scientist - so I tend to engineer, tear down, examine and repair electronics (and other stuff) - but for anybody else I'd suggest any creative outlet - drawing, painting, playing a musical instrument - anything that requires your full attention and has you doing something (rather than simply observing something, like TV)

If you're not too creative, try going for a walk! If it's wet, take an umbrella - not only is it relaxing, but it burns calories too!

We shall see how my tricks work the next time I have a bad period ;) Let me know if any of these helps you - and if not, let me know what does! Always interesting to find out and try new stuff!

Feel free to add me too :)
  • jennylea70
    jennylea70 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This is definitely me. I'm depressed, I eat. Sometimes I feel like food is the only thing that brings me joy. I am slowly working on trying to change that. Feel free to add me!Support definitely helps!
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have found that deep cleaning helps with the anxiety one day I washed all the kitchen walls, doors, and base boards. No thought of eating and then I was to tired to do anything else.
    Two weeks ago i rearranged my bedroom and cleaned the closet and dressers out.
    So I guess just try to focus on something else then eating.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm more an anger eater. I get a compulsion to bite someone something. So I do the civilized thing and gnaw on a bone instead. And don't tell me a carrot is better for me.

I find it better to acknowledge the feeling and try and find the most positive way to meet that need. A warm blankie is good for comfort. Running helps a lot too. And chamomile tea.
  • sendtoharvey
    sendtoharvey Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    food is soooo satisfying when I'm feeling any negative emotion. however, playing recreational sports definitely makes me feel great. and you meet fun people doing that too
  • pkeye
    pkeye Posts: 11 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Definitely anxiety eater here ... best thing for me is to get away from the refrigerator and MOVE!! exercise (walk, jog, gym). However, my daily medicine is riding my horse, my anxiety lifts and time passes without worry. I love the beauty of the countryside and being in the presence of these majestic animals.
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Anxiety and depression here .. I honestly had to go on some medications to be able to get out of my own way. I took an emotional eating course and that helped bring everything that I was doing to the front of my brain, so I could pay attention to what I was doing. One of the things that the course suggested was to make a distraction list of things you can do when you get that feeling. So you can read it and pick something you want to do to distract yourself. Clean a closet, paint your nails, take a bath, vacuum, go for a walk, change your view. I find I have to actually move my body to change my mindset.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    jennylea70 wrote: »
    This is definitely me. I'm depressed, I eat. Sometimes I feel like food is the only thing that brings me joy. I am slowly working on trying to change that. Feel free to add me!Support definitely helps!

This is my problem as well. Food is like the "highlight" of my day as pathetic as that is :/
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can all relate to comfort eating alone. So one solution would be to eat with someone. Solves two problems: overeating and loneliness. I find sharing how I feel helps. Don't let your [insert negative feeling] fester. Talk about it, if you can, address it. Food isn't the root, find the root.