Would I be sedentary or lightly active?

Options
randombumblings
randombumblings Posts: 6 Member
edited October 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
So I recently started college and have been walking around everywhere. My phone pedometer says I average about 6,200 steps per week. I don't really exercise or workout as I don't have the time. So would my lifestyle be sedentary or lightly active?
I'm trying to maintain my weight.
Also what would my maintenance calories be? I'm 18 years old, 5 foot 5, and about 110 pounds or 50kgs. (I have a scale that measures in kg).

Replies

• misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    6200 steps per week is 'sedentary'. 6200 steps per day is 'lightly active'.

6200 steps per week sounds wrong for someone who walks inside college everyday.
  • randombumblings
    Options
    misnomer1 wrote: »

Oh I meant that my average steps per day for the whole week is about 6,200. So sometimes I walk around 9,000-10,000 steps and sometimes I walk around 2,000 (especially if it's the weekend). I hope this makes more sense.

• misnomer1
    Options

Oh I meant that my average steps per day for the whole week is about 6,200. So sometimes I walk around 9,000-10,000 steps and sometimes I walk around 2,000 (especially if it's the weekend). I hope this makes more sense.

I would go with 'lightly active'. And if weight is still dropping after a month, up settings to 'active'.
  • randombumblings
    Options

I would go with 'lightly active'. And if weight is still dropping after a month, up settings to 'active'.

okay thank you so much!

• misnomer1
    Options
    As for your maintenance calories, update your activity level in mfp, set goal to maintain weight and get your maintenance calories.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Lightly active.

To find maintenance calories set your goal to "maintain my current weight" in the guided setup - the calorie estimate assumes you will log and eat back your exercise calories on top of that. A variable daily goal.

Alternatively to to a TDEE calculator where your an average of your exercise calories will be included - set that as a manual goal. Same goal every day.

Some experimentation and adjustment probably required to fine tune after a period of weeks.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    FWIW, activity level based on steps PER DAY has been categorized as follows:

Sedentary: <5000 steps per day (SPD)
    Low (or Lightly Active) : 5000-7499 SPD
    Somewhat (or Moderately Active) : 7500-9999 SPD
    Active: 10k-12499 SPD
    Highly Active: >12500 SPD

See: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035

and

http://www.livestrong.com/article/171629-how-many-steps-per-day-to-lose-weight/

OP: Based on 6200 steps per week or less 900 SPD, you'd definitely be categorized sedentary. If that's the case, I'd set my TDEE/maintenance cals based on that and log any additional walking (beyond what you normally do) separately.