Keep coming back and forth

Options
I keep coming back and forth to this app.. and the gym .. I want to keep it going ! I neeeed to keep it going .. anyone else do this ? Staying motivated is haaaard!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You want to keep going and you need to keep going, and you probably want the results too. But do you want to do what you are doing, and are you sure you need to do what you are doing? Starving and depriving and exhausting oneself for no good reason gets old really fast. To lose weight, you need to consistently eat less than you burn. To get fit, you need to use your body. It's that simple, and it's really not that difficult. Trying to stick to all kinds of schemes, is difficult. What can you do that makes YOU feel good, short term AND long term? Do that.
  • emilystevenson1284
    emilystevenson1284 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do need to for health reasons.. and I do enjoy the gym etc when I’m there it’s just getting there !
  • johnd4076
    johnd4076 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I’m in the exactly the same boat as you
  • emilystevenson1284
    Options
    I’m not a huge fan of cardio I really enjoy the weights room and when I’m in there I feel strong and I am strong .. it’s just all the other stuff that gets in the way , work , family , motivation , poor food choices .. I need consistency .. I swing too much
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Exercise ideally is for your health, not for weight loss, a calorie deficit is for weight loss.

If you have a tendency towards poor food choices, plan ahead and buy what you need in, focus on sticking to your calorie allowance and improving your diet. Getting a food scale and logging a couple of days of your normal food intake is a good starting point. You can then make small sustainable changes to get down to your allowance.

If you enjoy strength training but can't always get to the gym, get some dumbells/resistance bands at home, all it takes is 15-20 mins, there are plenty of free online video workouts on Youtube.

A lot of people end up yo-yoing because they are too restrictive and have an all or nothing mentality when it comes to weight loss. Be honest when setting up your account, don't automatically choose 2lbs per week loss, it's not suitable for everyone, faster isn't better.
  • emilystevenson1284
    Options
    Thank you
  • fanarad
    fanarad Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! Just started really getting back into a routine over the last few weeks. Feel free to add me!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Motivation gets you started - commitment to the process keeps you going.
    Make sure your personal process is sustainable for the long haul.

Your health is important to you and your family, it has to be a priority.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I just want to agree with sijomial. The most important thing is to do what you can do for life. If you love the gym then that's great. As for the diet find a way of eating that keeps you in a deficit and is something you can do for life. Take your time to lose any excess weight and you will be able to keep it off. Good luck.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Most people dont wake up every day and think "Gosh, do I really want to go to work today? I have so much to do... I will just skip it". Or "Gosh, do I really feel like changing diapers and feeding kids today? I am tired and worked hard this week... I will just skip it".

Make going to the gym just something you have to do. You are an adult, you have responsibilities and you just do them. The gym needs to be one (if that is what you have decided to do... you could just as well play on the playground or walk while your kids do for exercise). Not something you think about and decide if you feel like it that day. Its on the schedule, it gets done. Adult style.
  • emilystevenson1284
    Options
    Thanks for all of your comments guys.. it’s great getting some advice