Carbs

Options
Doctor has put me on a Atkins lite diet. Looking for healthy sweet low carb snacks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I ate sugar free jello when I was keto, and keto mousse. Or I'd have some super dark chocolate with almonds.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have brewing chocolate (it's not sweet, but I suppose you could add Splenda). I enjoy a cup of that at the end of a day (I like it not sweet, though).

Nut butters (no sugar added) can hit that same spot -- some nut butter in full fat greek yogurt was a dessert I did when LCHF.

Some (not all) berries are reasonably low carb -- a mix of those and nuts, maybe.

Pretty sure there are Atkins specific desserts although no clue what kind of ingredients they might have or if they are good.

A protein shake (if you can find a powder you like) with coconut milk instead of dairy is likely to be quite low carb and might feel like a milkshake.

But if you are trying to wean yourself away from sweet, it might be good not to immediately go to the replacement desserts. When I'm taking a break from added sugar or doing very low carb, I still sometimes enjoy a dessert after dinner and go with some really good cheese instead of something sweet.
  • WildBill_CQ
    WildBill_CQ Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    mrtemet wrote: »
    Doctor has put me on a Atkins lite diet. Looking for healthy sweet low carb snacks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If you need something crunchy, take a look at the store for sweet potato chips. Sweet potatoes are a complex carb which is slow digesting and won't spike your GI. Pay attention to the labels and make sure your carbs are from fiber (not sugar). Another alternative, that is an acquired taste, is pork rinds (Chicharrones). I will dip them in hummus or cheese dip.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If you need something crunchy, take a look at the store for sweet potato chips. Sweet potatoes are a complex carb which is slow digesting and won't spike your GI. Pay attention to the labels and make sure your carbs are from fiber (not sugar). Another alternative, that is an acquired taste, is pork rinds (Chicharrones). I will dip them in hummus or cheese dip.

The net carbohydrates on a serving of sweet potato chips are still going to be about 13-14 grams and that might be hard to fit in on most low carbohydrate plans (not sure what OP's specific carbohydrate goal is).
  • WildBill_CQ
    WildBill_CQ Posts: 106 Member
    Options

The net carbohydrates on a serving of sweet potato chips are still going to be about 13-14 grams and that might be hard to fit in on most low carbohydrate plans (not sure what OP's specific carbohydrate goal is).

Good point, @JaneJellyRoll. I think the 1st stage of Atkins is meat only (maybe broccoli), this may be a 2nd or 3rd stage snack.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Check out Pinterest for "Keto Bombs".
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Good point, @JaneJellyRoll. I think the 1st stage of Atkins is meat only (maybe broccoli), this may be a 2nd or 3rd stage snack.

There's a couple of different levels, but if OP is starting at the 20-25 gram limit then that includes non-starchy vegetables and also things like cheese, oils and eggs.

OP -- this may give you some snack ideas. There are not a lot of sweet options on here, but there are some: https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-20/phase-1/low-carb-foods