Staying motivated through hard times

Options
I'mg going through a breakup right now which includes me moving and finding it hard to stay motivated. What do you do to stay motivated when you're going through hard times??

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Motivated for what? You mean eating and exercising? Don't you like to eat and exercise? Or look at it this way - are you motivated to go to work every day, or brush your teeth? Do you still do it?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Motivated for what? You mean eating and exercising? Don't you like to eat and exercise? Or look at it this way - are you motivated to go to work every day, or brush your teeth? Do you still do it?

I agree with this. It is good to have the mindset that, rather than eating X way or exercising Y way in order to meet a short term goal such as weight loss, you are doing those things in order to live a healthy and fit life. They should be as much a part of your life as is brushing your teeth or washing your hair. They are just what you do.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're going through a tough time. I've found having forward-looking plans in the works, whether it be some project or self-improvement goal, can help me cope with stressful situations. It makes me feel like even if things are crap today, I'm working towards new and better things for tomorrow.

That said, it's okay to be less-than-perfect through hard times. Just be sure to have a plan in place when things level out, so you're poised to rock on when you bounce back from the tumult.

Stay strong!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Plan, plan, plan. You are going through upheaval in your life. Fitness is one aspect you can control. Plan your meals, pre-log and stick to the plan. Batch cook for the week so you don't have to get creative every night. And If you are able, get a dog for company and walk it often to meet people in your new environment. Change is hard.