Low sugar diet fatigue

Options
Hey y'all!
I just recently started a lower sugar/lower carb diet (about 10 days ago). I'm noticing I've been tired throughout the day more than usual. Is this a normal side effect?? I'm wondering if anyone has experienced something similar. I've read online that it's possible for your body to be tired for the first two weeks when cutting sugar. All my personal friends haven't had this happen. Let me know. Thanks!!!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Not really normal as in unavoidable, but normal as in usual. Have you reduced calories by a lot? How's your coffeine intake? Have you replaced carbs with fat as you're supposed to? Have you had changes to your schedule - work, sleep, exercise?
  • mrsjilltaylor
    mrsjilltaylor Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Calories are less- I wasn't tracking before and I was eating way too much. But, I'm eating a good amount now- around 1700 daily. Also, I'm still drinking caffeine but I cut out diet sodas so I'm assuming it's way less. I still drink coffee and tea.
  • fcornelius1955
    fcornelius1955 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dr. Mark Hyman, head of Functional Medicine at Cleveland Clinic, suggests but if you experience fatigue after starting on a low sugar diet, add 1/2 sweet potato per day to your diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you cut carbs down sufficiently that can explain it, but also the reduction in caffeine could be playing a role, and adjusting to lower cals.

Some people use sugar (or quick carbs) as a pick me up, too, so your body may simply be expecting that. It is worth thinking about whether maybe your sleep could be better (mine is routinely terrible, so I realize it's not always that easy to fix).
  • JulieD769
    JulieD769 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It took me a couple weeks to adjust when I cut sugar a couple years ago. The first week was pure hell for me, and the next week I was just tired and my muscles felt tight. But then I was fine and actually had more energy than ever before!
  • cyclone48
    cyclone48 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people that don't do well on a really low carb diet. Even after several weeks, I still feel tired and "foggy-headed". I do much better when I include at least a small amount of carb during the day. Pay attention to your body and add a small amount of carb if you need to.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey y'all!
    I just recently started a lower sugar/lower carb diet (about 10 days ago). I'm noticing I've been tired throughout the day more than usual. Is this a normal side effect?? I'm wondering if anyone has experienced something similar. I've read online that it's possible for your body to be tired for the first two weeks when cutting sugar. All my personal friends haven't had this happen. Let me know. Thanks!!!

What are you carb levels? And how much salt are you consuming?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree that it could be low sodium if you aren't making an effort to replace lost electrolytes from low carbing. Low sodium gives symptoms like headaches, fatigue, brain fog, BM issues, nausea, muscle aches and spasms. It is entirely preventable. Just make sure you are getting 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day. There is 2300 mg of sodium in a teaspoon of salt - for reference.
  • mrsjilltaylor
    mrsjilltaylor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm not really "low" carb just mainly trying to eat clean with no added sugars. I'm fine with fruit or anything that naturally has sugar just trying to eliminate the processed junk. I'm trying to keep my sugar intake below 25g daily and my carbs below 90-100g. So, I'm definitely not considered low carb, but I'm consuming MUCH less than previously.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm not really "low" carb just mainly trying to eat clean with no added sugars. I'm fine with fruit or anything that naturally has sugar just trying to eliminate the processed junk. I'm trying to keep my sugar intake below 25g daily and my carbs below 90-100g. So, I'm definitely not considered low carb, but I'm consuming MUCH less than previously.

That is low carb. I eat around that (although I don't care if I have more than 25 g of sugar if it's largely from fruit, veg, and dairy -- the recs for under 25 g that are credible are all about calories and added sugar and I kind of pride myself on the day if I hit over 25 g sugar just from veg). For me, cutting down to that level didn't make me feel lower energy at all (but I don't think I was super high before, my natural tastes run more to fat and protein). However, my understanding from others is that sometimes even a cut to that level can bring on a mild form of the so-called keto flu, where you feel less energy until you adjust, so it still could be that, although caffeine also could be the culprit, or sleep, or who knows. If it's carbs it should go away in a few days, although some find they just feel better overall on more carbs (you can choose nutrient dense carbs, obviously).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

That is low carb. I eat around that (although I don't care if I have more than 25 g of sugar if it's largely from fruit, veg, and dairy -- the recs for under 25 g that are credible are all about calories and added sugar and I kind of pride myself on the day if I hit over 25 g sugar just from veg). For me, cutting down to that level didn't make me feel lower energy at all (but I don't think I was super high before, my natural tastes run more to fat and protein). However, my understanding from others is that sometimes even a cut to that level can bring on a mild form of the so-called keto flu, where you feel less energy until you adjust, so it still could be that, although caffeine also could be the culprit, or sleep, or who knows. If it's carbs it should go away in a few days, although some find they just feel better overall on more carbs (you can choose nutrient dense carbs, obviously).

I agree. Just lowering carbs can play with your electrolytes. If one was moderate or high carb and then drop to low carb (typically considered to be under 100-150 g a day, keto is below 50g) electrolytes may be lost with the water weight and need to be replaced.

A cup of salty broth, and a bit more salt on your food for a few days, may be an easy way to replace lost sodium. If you are not low in sodium, you'll excrete the extra sodium from the broth within a few days so no harm is done.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

90-100 grams is low carb...it's just not keto (ultra low carb)