Water

Sometimes I cannot handle a day of all water. Does anyone else use crystal light or similar products? My water intake is usually 2 bottles of 32 ozs. each. I will often use a "go pouch" of low cal powder to flavor one of the bottles. I cannot drink more water than that. Its my limit.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Just drink liquid. It doesn't have to be water.

I only drink coffee, tea and water but to each their own. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I drink a lot of water but sometimes I'll mix it up with some Mio.

But honestly, unless you're under instructions from a doctor or working in an environment where dehydration may be a factor, I don't think there is a need to force yourself to drink. Our bodies are usually pretty good at telling what we need and, for most of us, drinking to thirst will take care of things.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    you don't need to

I'm yet to see any evidence that all this water has any beneficial effect.

Who told you to drink all this? Why are you so worried about it?

Water is for hydration, if you want flavoured water why not?

I drink tea all day myself, grren, white, black and pu-errh

I only drink water before during and after workouts, for hydration.

I find this phenomenon of drinking lots of water bizarre, it's not backed up by anything.

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Does adding flavor make water no longer wet?

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    edited October 2017
    I usually just drink plain water. blah.
    but crystal light packets are so good.
    water intake doesn't matter much from what I've read honestly. i only drink with my meals or at my desk at work.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    I make cheapo ice tea by sticking a tea bag in a big cold-cup and sticking it in the fridge until mid-afternoon. I alternate between black and green tea depending on how much caffeine I've already had. But yeah, you're probably more concerned about water than you need to be. It doesn't seem to do anything for weight-loss unless it's supplanting a drink with calories, and the average person gets plenty of water from other beverages and food. The only times I worry about water consumption are if I'm 1) sweating, or 2) hungover.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    I do sometimes. One to-go packet will last me all day. My water intake is about 4-5 whole 32oz glasses.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited October 2017
    I'm in the "you must drink water camp". Maybe not everyone needs to, but I sure do. I also drink tea, coffee and wine so I get plenty of liquids, but water is still my number one drink for better health and weight loss. If I don't drink a minimum of 64 ounces a day I start to retain water, see the scale number going in the wrong direction, and just don't feel well generally. While everyone is different, my body needs it to function properly. I try to shoot for 72 ounces a day but still do OK with a little less.

Lots of ways to get more water in without just drinking it plain. If I get sick of drinking just plain old water I will do one of the following: (not all at once)

Add lemon or orange slices.
    Add cucumber slices.
    Add fresh mint leaves.
    Add strawberry slices.
    Stick an herbal tea bag in my water cup and then just add more water as the day goes on.
    Water mixed with a little bit of juice.
    Water mixed with a little bit of kombucha.
    Zero calorie sparkling water in many different flavors. Current favorite is LaCroix berry-cucumber.

You can infuse water overnight with a lot of different fruits and veggies (limited only by your taste and imagination). They even sell water pitchers and tumblers with slots in the middle to add the infusions.

Juice has a lot of calories, but the flavor is nice once in awhile. I freeze juice cubes in ice cube trays, put them in a ziploc bag in the freezer and then just pop one in with my water. I only do this about once or twice a week, so the extra calories are minimal.

Cheers!
  • cwilber1
    cwilber1 Posts: 30 Member
    Feel a lot better about this whole water thing. I like the juice ice cube idea. I do actually like water - but enough is enough. Flavoring it up makes sense and I'll keep using the crystal light as I have been ,as needed when its got to be something different. Also I eat plenty of vegs & fruit, so I'm not going to think about it any more!
  • Christine_2017
    Christine_2017 Posts: 60 Member
    I'm not sure on the true effects but I have cut out all drinks other than water and I must say my skin has never ever been so clear and glowing. I'm sticking with it if for nothing other than that! X
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    It doesn't hurt anything but my advice is just what my doctor said to me, she said if you're gonna eat or drink something make sure it has real sugar in it. 'Sugar free' drinks actually have an unnatural unhealthy chemical in it to sweeten it. She said it's a lot healthier! But that's just the rule I follow! Hope that helps a little! :)

Did you ask what the unnatural unhealthy chemical is?

I probably drink nearly 3 liters of water a day and have a crystal light with my dinner..fruit punch is pretty good.

• KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    It doesn't hurt anything but my advice is just what my doctor said to me, she said if you're gonna eat or drink something make sure it has real sugar in it. 'Sugar free' drinks actually have an unnatural unhealthy chemical in it to sweeten it. She said it's a lot healthier! But that's just the rule I follow! Hope that helps a little! :)

I drink Diet Pepsi everyday. What unhealthy chemical am I drinking?
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member

time to look for a new doctor??
  • RaeBeeBaby
    edited October 2017

I drink Diet Pepsi everyday. What unhealthy chemical am I drinking?

I depends on what country you live in, as the ingredients are different.
    In the U.S., its ingredients are recorded as "carbonated water, caramel color, sucralose, phosphoric acid, potassium benzoate (preserves freshness), caffeine, citric acid, natural flavor; phenylketonurics: contains phenylalanine."[16] In Canada, the ingredient listing reads: "carbonated water, caramel color, phosphoric acid, aspartame (124 mg/355 ml, contains phenylalanine), sodium benzoate, caffeine, flavor, acesulfame potassium (32 mg/355ml), citric acid, dimethylpolysiloxane."[17] Comparatively in the U.K., Diet Pepsi is listed as consisting of "carbonated water, colour (caramel E150d), flavorings (including caffeine), phosphoric acid, sweeteners (aspartame, acesulfame K), acidity regulator (sodium citrate), preservative (sodium benzoate), citric acid, contains a source of phenylalanine."

That's a lot of ingredients, but the one most controversial long-term has been aspartame. There's a variety of studies on the effects of aspartame but no consensus on whether it's really harmful or not. Pepsi actually took it out in 2015, but put it back in a year later due to dropping sales. Their Diet Pepsi base customers started to drop off and then came back when the formula was reverted.

Also, recent reports are now claiming the caramel color in soda is a potential carcinogen. Lots of studies came to a similar conclusion. This is from Consumer Reports:
    Caramel color, added to many soft drinks and some foods to turn them brown, may sound harmless, even appetizing. But in no way does it resemble real caramel. Some types of this artificial coloring contain a potentially carcinogenic chemical called 4-methylimidazole (4-MeI)

Several US states now require products that contain the above to also list a cancer warning on their labeling.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    There's a variety of studies on the effects of aspartame but no consensus on whether it's really harmful or not.

There is consensus, and it is unless you plan on drinking 1600 cans of pop with aspartame PER DAY, it is not toxic or harmful.

Consensus is general agreement in the field of expertise, here meaning doctors and medical researchers (which I don't believe is true for aspartame). I'm sure there are still plenty of medical professionals who question the effect of long-term consumption, but the jury is still out. Do you have a study to reference on your claim of 1600 cans of pop? Or is that just an arbitrary number?

Sorry to OP, didn't mean to take your post sideways with discussion on diet soda. Someone had just asked about the chemicals. I'm not claiming their healthy or unhealthy values but was just providing some reference info.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    There's a variety of studies on the effects of aspartame but no consensus on whether it's really harmful or not.

There is consensus, and it is unless you plan on drinking 1600 cans of pop with aspartame PER DAY, it is not toxic or harmful.

Consensus is general agreement in the field of expertise, here meaning doctors and medical researchers (which I don't believe is true for aspartame). I'm sure there are still plenty of medical professionals who question the effect of long-term consumption, but the jury is still out. Do you have a study to reference on your claim of 1600 cans of pop? Or is that just an arbitrary number?

Sorry to OP, didn't mean to take your post sideways with discussion on diet soda. Someone had just asked about the chemicals. I'm not claiming their healthy or unhealthy values but was just providing some reference info.

its the amount of aspartame consumed daily required to reach toxic levels divided by the amount of aspartame in each can. most studies that state toxicity levels have that information in them. you just have to do the math.

There is consensus in independent researchers. The ones who disagree or try to argue something that has been decided are being paid to do so.