Should I eat more calories when I'm on my period?

Options
Sorry awkward question I know. Just gotta ask cause I'm a girl and I'm lost. (If you don't like this post, it's ok just scroll away) Ive heard that women are supposed to eat more food or something while on our periods? Or more protein or something to like stay healthy during it. Is this a myth? If I'm trying to lose weight should I just stay on my diet plan?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine one becoming so unhealthy during their period that they'd need extra calories but maybe I am just lucky. There wouldn't be any big harm with eating at maintenance that week if you feel the need to. You know your body best - if you feel unwell during that week and the extra calories help then I'd say to do it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I used to have junk food cravings premenstrually until I realized that I was just hungrier due to my metabolism being increased at this time. I started eating more regular foods, and the cravings went away.
  • cynthiabickham
    cynthiabickham Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Actually boosting up your iron and water intake helps a lot. I use to cramp really bad, but I started drinking more water and noticed the cramps not getting so bad. And the extra iron helps keep you from getting dizzy or moody. A little chocolate never hurt on period days either. <3
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I've actually spent some time in the past looking (with hope) to find papers of studies which show that metabolism increases during the last week before period or during period.

I didn't find any. No statistically significant results.

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Mostly myth. Some calorie burn fluctuation during different times of the month, but nothing huge. There are some studies that indicate resistance/weight training in the first 2 weeks of a cycle are more efficient than in the last two weeks. http://umu.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf?pid=diva2:955835&amp;dswid=-279
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I personally do eat more calories during PMS. I get hungrier the week before until day 2 of my period. Some days I just eat a little more and other days I eat at maintenance. It's worth it to me to stay sane and just get back on track later.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Nope. Eating more will slow your weight loss and depending on how much you eat, it can slow things a lot. I never feel hungrier during my period and if anything feel less hungry.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    No. The calories to create the uterine lining (blood) have already been used through the past two to three weeks. During your period (while you're shedding the uterine lining), you're actually using fewer calories. And calorie calculators make an assumption based on age and gender that already builds those monthly calories into your average daily needs.
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The week before my period I am starving. MFP gives me 1800 calories to eat normally I do between 1200 to 1300 unless I decide to eat some starches, but the week before I eat every calorie plus some of my burned calories. I notice the day before I start the hunger is gone. This is my second month using MFP and I am hoping to do better than last month.