Quinoa!?!?

Options
I've heard its a fabulous source of protein for veggies like me, but I have no idea what to do with it! any ideas?? thanks!

Replies

• ksunshine91
    ksunshine91 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Use it as you would rice. It's so good!
  • brvanover
    Options
    I mix Rotel in mine or eat it with mixed vegetables.
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have used mine like any other grain...mixed parmesan cheese in with it...had it with veggies...it is one of my favorite go to meals now.
  • 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I love Quinoa! Just wished it was cheaper :)

I mix it in to my dishes, goes great with Stir Fry!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I use it just like rice. It makes are really good Spanish "rice". Just do a Google search and you will find lots of recipes.
  • CJChavez1971
    CJChavez1971 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :happy: This grain can be used to make tortillas as well...Cook Right for your Type is a book that has recipes for Quinoa....I would suggest you go to your local library or get on their website and search for recipes for Quinoa...plus you can check out the book, have it at home, and its free!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I've also recently found that it's a good stand in for oatmeal. I actually have some in my bag to have with some raspberries for an afternoon snack. 1/4 cup dry (3/4 cup cooked) has 172 calories and 6 g of protein. I've also made it with stock and loaded it up with veggies and a little marinara, I've used it as my "carb" in place of a rice or noodle or barley in soup, it's a pretty versatile little grain.
  • ohiogirl30
    ohiogirl30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i'm a vegetarian and I really miss eating hot wings. One of my favorite things I love to do is cut it in 1/2 inch strips, grill or or saute them then put a little hot sauce on them. You'll love it!!!
  • Klbryce1
    Klbryce1 Posts: 23
    Options
    thanks everyone! time to get cooking :)
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I had it last night for the first time and it was awesome. We had quinoa and black beans. My sister found the recipe at allrecipes.com. :) Very tasty.
  • trimtrim
    trimtrim Posts: 11
    Options
    I used to mix mine with shredded chicken diced carrots and peas and chinese seasoning, its delicious eaten like a chinese fried rice dish. I eat it because it is gluten free
  • lbobak
    lbobak Posts: 2
    Options
    I have a few veggies in my family and when they are here Quinoa is always a great go to. I use boxed vegtable stock to cook the quinoa and I saute pretty much any veggies I have on hand, zuchini, mushrooms, onions, broccoli and add to the warm quinoa.

You can also use it as a cold salad, I've used the cooked then cold quinoa added feta cheese, chopped red peppers, red or valencia onions, and you do need a dressing like a vinegarette.

Some quinoa's need cleaned I bought a bulk red quinoa and it seemed to have sand in it. So I stick to the organic washed quinoa for simplicity.
  • thinnerdarla
    Options
    I like it with black beans, corn , onions, then salsa on top and a little cheese and sour cream
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I make a "Greek" quinoa salad just about every week. Prepare the quinoa and chill in the fridge. Later, add grilled or boiled shrimp, diced bell pepper, sliced purple onion, diced cucumber, diced tomato, kalamata olives, feta cheese, parsley, salt, lemon juice and oregano.
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    Really good!!!

I treat it like cous cous... It takes on the flavor of whatever you put in with it.

This is my go to
    Quinoa
    1/4 c. red onion
    1/2 c. cucumber
    1 t. of dill
    2 T. of E.V.O.O.
    4 T. of Red Wine Vinegar
    salt and pepper to taste

YUMMY!
  • KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am a huge rice pudding fan and have given up rice, bread (wheat), and sugar (added/white) for lent. I have been adding quinoa to my greek yogurt for a yummy (super healthy and filling too!) "dessert".