Fit bit steps into earned calories

Options
Hi im a newbie here and was wondering if 5000 steps is 10 earned calories? Not sure if this is right? Also can we eat earned calories?
Thankyou and hello to everyone xx

Replies

• williamsdebbie301
    Options
    My fit bit says ive earnt over 1000 calories for 5000 steps but MFP is saying only 10??? Slighlty confused
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    MFP is adjusting for the calorie goal you have plus the extra earned according to your fitbit. the 1000 on your fitbit will be the daily total burn until that point in time. NOT exercise cals from walking 5000 steps. As someone who walks 16000 steps a day and gets maybe 200 extra at the end i can assure you that unless you are obese you don't get 1000 calories for walking 5000 steps.
  • Bealey2011
    Bealey2011 Posts: 29 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have Fitbit calories problems :'( where is the Fitbit group located?

I did 35mins on treadmill this morning at an incline of 6 @6/6.5 mph and thirty minutes of strength training....it stated (including steps from waking to the gym this morning) that I'd burned 729 calories....I'm 35 years old 190lbs and don't exercise....how can this be right?

Any help would be useful (sorry for hijacking your post OP) xx
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    You gave MFP an activity level when you set up your account. Sedentary is around 5,000 steps. So when you go over sedentary, you earn more calories. There is a setting in MFP to enable negative calories too. This setting would take calories away if you were much less than 5,000 steps.

There is a timing element. Let the settings stay as is for a few days while you figure things out......
    This is a great thread (tons of info): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1
  • Bealey2011
    Bealey2011 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks TeaBea x
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    MFP will give you positive Fitbit Calorie adjustments if your actual daily activity is greater than the estimated daily activity you chose when you picked your MFP Activity Level when setting your MFP goals. If you chose Very Active in MFP, but only take enough steps for a Sedentary setting, you will not get a positive Fitbit Calorie adjustment based on your actual steps as recorded by Fitbit. Or, in reverse, if you chose MFP Sedentary, and then take thousands of steps beyond the Sedentary MFP Activity Level setting, you will get a rather large Fitbit Calorie adjustment.

For me, I have MFP set at Sedentary and have negative adjustments enabled. I start getting a positive Fitbit Calorie adjustment for the day at about 2400 steps total. Since that is the total for the day, that equates to 100 steps average per every hour of the day. When I wake up at 7 a.m. I have 0 steps and I am at a negative Fitbit Calorie adjustment, by 8 a.m. if I get 800 steps, that adjustment will start turning positive, by 9 a.m. 900 steps, by 10 a.m. 1000 steps, etc. The Fitbit Calorie adjustment changes every time MFP and Fitbit sync.

I normally eat back all of my earned Calories. I have done so for two years having Fitbit synced and have maintained my weight loss.