Help! Breastfeeding and trying to lose weight but starving and scared of losing supply!

Options
My newborn is 5 weeks old, I am exclusively breastfeeding and this past week started counting calories again and trying to clean up my diet. I have a significant amount of weight I would like to lose around 50lbs!
I have replaced all junk food and high carb foods with protein and veggies and have really been enjoying it my problem is nursing makes me sooooo hungry I have my calorie limit at 1800 but occasionally go over to about 2000.. I'm worried I won't lose weight eating that much but also worried about cutting calories and carbs to much for fear of losing my milk supply! If anyone has any tips or advice I would greatly appreciate!

Replies

• allieimproves
    allieimproves Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hiya! My daughter is 4 weeks old, and Im also exclusively breastfeeding so I hear you and understand! First, remember that breastfeeding burns around 375-750 calories daily, and thus doctors suggest upping, not lowering your intake 500 calories with healthy nutrient dense foods so you'll be able to provide those to your little one. If you're supposed to be eating 1800, for your sake and your baby's, please don't cut down to 1200 without medical guidance.

I honestly think youll still lose weight going with 1800 calories as long as you are eating quality foods, which it seems like you are. My first few weeks postpartum I gave myself slack and didn't track and allowed myself sweets and foods I didn't eat during pregnancy. I didnt go crazy with super large portions, but it definitely wasnt as quality of food. However because I was breastfeeding and burning those extra calories daily, I lost 13 lbs in those 3 weeks (granted, I have much more to lose than you). Now that I've gotten back on track with eating, I'm losing even faster and I'm eating around 2000 calories a day. I try to get a walk in during the day, but haven't been to the gym since giving birth.

For me, I graze when I get super hungry, but the key there is to surround myself with healthy grazing options like cucumbers, strawberries, frozen grapes, sliced apples, etc. The more i can chop up what im eating the longer it takes me to go through it and since it's fruits and veggies, it's not going to kill my balance. I've got a shopping trip planned for today to get my grazing items. I hope this helps!

Bottom line, you're not just nourishing yourself, you've got to make enough for your new little one (congrats btw!) So don't shortchange yourself or your new little bundle of joy!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest trying different foods to figure out what satiates you. I suspect you need more fat in your diet. You can try a full fat dressing on a salad, olive oil on roasted vegetables, or nuts. If fat doesn't work for you, I suggest you put carbs back in. Here's what human milk is made of:

at9hqpcy87k4.jpg

Even though walking won't directly help you lose weight, I think it will help you and the baby feel better.
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It usually takes me several months after birth before I feel like my body can handle losing weight. Pregnancy and labor and the postpartum stage are a really big deal. It's a lot on your body. If you are continually struggling, you could try just waiting for a while. Use the time to snuggle and bond with Baby and to adapt to life with Baby.

Having said that, I also found that 1800 was too low while breastfeeding. I was in the same boat-- worried that it wasn't low enough to cause weight loss, but also worried that it was too low and would affect my supply. When I lost weight before pregnancy, I lost on about 1200-1600 calories per day. But while breastfeeding, I found that 2200--2300 calories per day was about right. I was losing weight on that high amount! My maintenance calories must have been close to 3000 per day! It is amazing-- we really do need a lot of calories while breastfeeding. I suggest setting the goal fairly high for several weeks and then recording your weight every week. See if you lose, gain, or maintain. Then you can go from there.
  • backbendy223
    backbendy223 Posts: 12 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My baby will be 4 months old on Monday and I have been exclusively breastfeeding him. I gained 51 pounds this pregnancy. I started using MFP 107 days ago. Trying to lose weight while breastfeeding has been tricky but not impossible. I've lost 27 pounds plus 14 which I lost right after birth, so I'm at 41 pounds lost now! 10 to go!! Don't go too low carb- I personally found my supply drops when I cut out carbs. I try to stay around 1800 calories a day. The first 2-3 months I honestly was more like 2000 calories, 1800 on a good day but I was still losing weight! Now I'm trying to stay around 1800 maximum. Most days I eat less than that. Tough workouts make my supply drop also. You definitely need rest days and days where you eat whatever you want. I don't magically lose weight while breastfeeding . I've had to work hard for every pound lost. But You can do it ! Dont be too hard on yourself! Be patient and forgiving! You can follow me if you want- anyone can follow me for support. :smile:
  • thatonegirljessica
    thatonegirljessica Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I wasn't try to lose weight at the beginning of my breastfeeding journey but oatmeal, lactation cookies, and lots of water helped me keep my supply up.
  • VAMommyAgain
    VAMommyAgain Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    When I was still breastfeeding I was losing weight eating 2200 calories a day. I started exercising after 6 weeks taking it very slow and working up to a typical workout. I also ate plenty of carbs like whole grains. You really shouldn’t be hungry when nursing...listen to your body:)
  • prettygurlroc
    prettygurlroc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My baby is a month old today. I want to start exercising after my six weeks. What did you do to ensure it didn't effect your supply?
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    stormiez3 wrote: »
    My newborn is 5 weeks old, I am exclusively breastfeeding and this past week started counting calories again and trying to clean up my diet. I have a significant amount of weight I would like to lose around 50lbs!
    I have replaced all junk food and high carb foods with protein and veggies and have really been enjoying it my problem is nursing makes me sooooo hungry I have my calorie limit at 1800 but occasionally go over to about 2000.. I'm worried I won't lose weight eating that much but also worried about cutting calories and carbs to much for fear of losing my milk supply! If anyone has any tips or advice I would greatly appreciate!

1800 calories for someone who is 50lb over weight and exclusively breastfeeding is not a great idea. Neither is cutting carbs. Eat at maintenance and walk. Enjoy your baby. Having a 5 week old is not really the time to cutting out food groups and slashing calories. You're hungry for a reason... You're sustaining a life... 2 in fact
  • jennandtom
    jennandtom Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I could not agree more with the sound advice from my fellow older moms. I have four sons, the oldest nine, and youngest of which is 17mos today. Just, hang, in, there. Forget about your body image for a while, at least until your little is six to eight months old. Walk him or her, enjoy time together, he/she will change so much, so quickly. Just enjoy. Let yourself enjoy your little one and your new normal. It will come time, soon enough, to start concerning yourself with calories. Don't go crazy eating ice cream and crying into the container or anything, but if you're even THINKING about your intake, you're DOING IT RIGHT, and you will be fine. You sound as though you're on the right track, keeping healthy choices in mind. Your body was meant to bear children, and it isn't going to "snap back" to what it was before, because you've gone through an amazing change. Stop listening to the movies and magazines and embrace your motherhood! Our bodies are amazing!! Sending love and support to you all, ladies. We should all rest and enjoy our littles so much more than we do.

Also in my experience, drinking lots of water and nursing on demand, not on schedule, allowed me to nurse exclusively through about eight months each child. When he or she wants to eat, even if it's every hour and a half, let him or her eat. Nursing on demand is going to protect your milk supply more an anything else will. Working in one pumping session each day will also bolster your supply. Take care of yourself!
  • jennandtom
    jennandtom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My baby is a month old today. I want to start exercising after my six weeks. What did you do to ensure it didn't effect your supply?

Drink Plenty (100-150oz) of water and nurse on demand.

• Aussieangel85
    Aussieangel85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't eat any less than 1800 calories a day eating too low can make your metabolism
    Even slower smash the water to keep your milk flowing and always have a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast I fed both my daughters till 2 years n tried dieting on and off most of it x
  • stormiez3
    stormiez3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice!!!!!! I'm trying to not worry so much about it and be sensible it's working I have lost about 4lbs!!!
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice!!!!!! I'm trying to not worry so much about it and be sensible it's working I have lost about 4lbs!!!

Yay! <3<3:D
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

My advice for you is to not necessarily make a deficit because it's a lot easier for your milk supply to run short. I have a 9 month old I breastfed up until he was about 7 months old, my supply ran dry but I would of loved to keep going for up to a year. I would just wait til he's or she's older (or until you're done breastfeeding) to create a deficit, just to be on the safe side and to make sure your baby is healthy and getting enough milk! Breast milk helps your baby's immune system as well, he's getting extra protection from sickness from your breastmilk! He's 5 weeks so I wouldn't worry about losing weight. Plus labor and pregnancy has a HUGE affect on your body, you're not allowed having sex until 6 weeks after so I wouldn't put your body through the stress of trying to lose weight and heal itself at the same time. Doctors say not to diet while breastfeeding. Chances are if you keep breastfeeding you will lose some of the weight! If you'd like cut out some of the junk food so you'll have an easier time when it comes time for you to cut calories.
  • ameliasoto1982
    ameliasoto1982 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cut my calories dramatically when my baby was only four months old because I thought I was ready for strict dieting...my milk supply did drop, baby was nursing constantly because she wasn't getting full. It was bad, she use to sleep through the night and when I did that she stopped because she would wake up hungry. I did it for a week before I caught on to what was causing this sudden change. So, I stopped the strict dieting and just ate sensibly. I think I cut calories way too fast and way too low at that time. Baby and me were probably not ready for it. Now that she is a year old I have done a juice fast and my milk supply was fine because she is not nursing as much, she is eating regular food plus I nurse for bed time and when she wants to for comfort (or snack, hehe). I plan to nurse until she is two (per the World Health Organization). I've been working out since she was six weeks old, that didn't affect milk supply but the calorie cutting did...I just tried to eat clean. I have plateaued on the weight loss, some women lose weight while breastfeeding and I did too, but have plateaued at the last 13 lbs. that I need to lose. :(