Calories in egg whites?

Options
Can't find a definitive answer; varies from 17 calories per large egg white, to 52 per? Just trying to add a little more volume to the 2 full eggs I eat. Should I be measuring by grams of egg white instead? Thanks for any insight!

Replies

• emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @jemhh thank you...the entry I have been using is way off

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Whenever you run into questions about nutrition data, the USDA nutrient database (or the Canadian equivalent CNF) is your best resource.

Go here: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

Under Select Source pick Standard Reference

Enter the food that you are eating in the next box to the right. For this example, I would enter raw egg white

Click Go

Choose the result that matches most closely to the item you want to eat. In this situatino I'd pick Egg, white, raw, fresh

On the next screen you'll see the nutrition info (Energy = calories, btw.) Usually the first set of info is for 100 grams and then there are a couple of other measurements as well.

An easy way to find this entry in the MFP database is to copy the description that you see next to Basic Report (01124, Egg, white, raw, fresh) and then paste it into the search box on MFP. Even then, though, you'll want to double check that the entry that comes up in MFP matches the USDA number.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Search MFP for "eggs white only raw" and that will return the item MFP entered from the USDA National Nutrient Database.
  • munchIax
    munchIax Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Whenever you run into questions about nutrition data, the USDA nutrient database (or the Canadian equivalent CNF) is your best resource.

Go here: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

Under Select Source pick Standard Reference

Enter the food that you are eating in the next box to the right. For this example, I would enter raw egg white

Click Go

Choose the result that matches most closely to the item you want to eat. In this situatino I'd pick Egg, white, raw, fresh

On the next screen you'll see the nutrition info (Energy = calories, btw.) Usually the first set of info is for 100 grams and then there are a couple of other measurements as well.

An easy way to find this entry in the MFP database is to copy the description that you see next to Basic Report (01124, Egg, white, raw, fresh) and then paste it into the search box on MFP. Even then, though, you'll want to double check that the entry that comes up in MFP matches the USDA number.

Thank you so much! Especially the tip on how to pull up the USDA entries in MFP, that's going to be so helpful in the future! I appreciate it :blush: