Weight gain during menstruation

Options
I was so excited to have lost 5 pounds, 3 days later I started my period and jumped on the scale and had gained 4 pounds back :/ is it possibly due to my period?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Could just be water retention due to your period. Unless you ate a literal boatload of extra food there's no way you ate enough calories in 3 days to gain 4 lbs of fat.
  • 2Luverly
    2Luverly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    YUP. In fact... likely! Or other water retention.
  • nicci288693
    nicci288693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ok good. :) I was pretty upset. I'm hoping once I'm done the weight will drop again.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yep, that is perfectly normal. I don't get periods anymore but when I did, I would have a temporary water weight gain, and even after the water weight left I would find I also did not lose additional weight during that week, so I just wrote it off.

Water weight gains can happen for other reasons too, such as high sodium meals or disrupted sleep. Most home scales are not very consistent and can also create a variance of a few pounds.

Don't worry, it takes 3500 calories to make a pound of fat, so unless you have eaten 3500 x 4 over your maintenance calories, you have not gained fat. Keep logging all your food accurately and have faith in the process.
  • nicci288693
    nicci288693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    For sure! Its totally normal. I personally dont weigh myself during shark week for that reason (gives me anxiety!) But a lot of women do. It should drop off quick after your back to normal :)
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I usually gain an average of 5lbs right before my period. I had a couple months where is was even higher. Usually within a few days of starting though it all comes right back off. It used to really bother me, now I just don't weight during PMS/Period time.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I gain a couple pounds the few days before my period. I usually woosh them and a little more the day I start.
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Seems to happen to most women some time around then. I know some who only weigh every two weeks or every month for that reason. I just make a note of it if gains are around totm