Is there a better way to log my weight lifting?

Options
samueljdemaggio
samueljdemaggio Posts: 18 Member
I am weight training every day in addition to the nutritional side of the house. However, I lift many different weights in many different ways each day for complete area building. For example I may accomplish 10 different weight lifting exercises for chest of which have different weight and rep counts for each area of the chest. Is there just a general weightlifting option that I can add and say I did 1 hours worth of weight lifting? Thanks for any feed back.

Replies

• cargotrailer
    cargotrailer Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I create my own, but select "cardiovascular" as exercise type. Then I just describe it in the title, enter the duration and the estimate of calories.
  • samueljdemaggio
    Options
    That makes sense. I see what you are saying now because this does not give you calories burned for weight lifting.
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you aren't tracking exercise calories you can just put in the baseline 1 rep 1 minute in the cardio category. That's what I do.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes8
    KaleidoscopeEyes8 Posts: 30 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    There's a standard "Strength training" entry under the cardio section of exercise, so that's what I use. I don't rely on the "calories burned" reports, though. I use it more just to track that I did work out that day.
  • thatfitdad
    thatfitdad Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Dont... you dont need to, so many factors go in, base your diet off your tdee and just do a rough estimate.
  • samueljdemaggio
    Options
    Sorry I'm not sure what tdee is yet. Thanks for the input!
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Total daily energy expenditure, or what you burn in a day on average. If you're losing exactly a pound a week, you're eating about 500 calories under your TDEE.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

It's not the way MFP is setup to work.

It can be tweaked to work that way, just have to use the tool differently then.

MFP is setup for base calories with no exercise expected or accounted for.

When you actually do more - you eat more.
    If you don't, you are eating less.

Life lesson there regarding weight control.

The TDEE method takes what you HOPE to do for exercise, and bases an eating goal off of that.
    But then you better do your workouts or you won't lose weight.

It's the reason for the bad confusion that you must exercise to lose weight. With that latter setup you do.

With MFP setup, you don't.

Oh - don't be shocked by how little the Strength Training gives for calories - that is true, compared to cardio, it is small.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i don't log my weight lifting on MFP. But i do keep track of my programming and lifts with paper and pencil
  • xaos100
    xaos100 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use fitnotes best app by far
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I track my weightlifting in Body Space. I like that it gives me a one rep max, and I find I progress faster when I remember what I did last time. It can be a bit cumbersome but overall big fan.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    xaos100 wrote: »
    I use fitnotes best app by far

Oh thank you - after checking out available apps years back and being disappointed, I just stopped paying attention (as well as lifting takes back seat to cardio during non-winter months) to what could work well.

So when I recently redid SL5x5 to get out of injury time and used their app, really got to like the timer aspect, but not the limit to reps/sets, especially as I go for switching to my desired routine.

That app will allow it, and not overkill. If it allows sending to email so on my computer I can put into my SportsTracks logging program easily - even better.
  • leonard41704
    leonard41704 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been using Virtuagym. It has tracked every set, reps, and weights for every lift that I have done since using it. It's just an option for you.