Seasonal Cravings

Options
I have cravings for fresh fruit and veg in season. Whether it's citrus in January and February, melons and beets in September, apples in October, lettuce in April and May, it repeats every year. I'm curious if this is a learned response due to the better taste of in-season produce or some other reason. I could reason away most of them because everything tastes best right out of my garden, but that doesn't explain the citrus which can't be grown here.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    My seasonal cravings have to do with things I typically ate during that time frame as a kid. Like I don't want pumpkin pie in the summer, but once the weather cools I want pumpkin pie.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    It's almost Little Debbie Christmas Tree season, so that's gonna happen. A lot
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I crave seasonal foods.. like pumpkin flavored everything! Ice cream, muffins, pumpkin cereal, donuts.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My seasonal things are a combination of weather and longtime tradition or habit or association. Might well be about what it most available/tastes best too -- I think strawberries aren't worth it unless local and in season, same with frest tomatoes and corn.

Right now I have lots of winter squash and am making some of it, but since we got a weird hot spell (after a mild summer) I'm wanting salads, not stews with pumpkin.
  • Emmygm
    Emmygm Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think that advertising/media also plays a role in this. We are inundated with salad recipes in the summer, apple squash and pumpkin spice in the fall.....