exercises to tighten and tone hamstrings?

Options
I have heard that stiff-leg deadlifts are good for this, but I'd like a bit of a variety. Any suggestions? Thanks and sorry if this's been asked before! xx

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Cardio with resistance is great for this. Try hill running or set the treadmill on an incline, cycling or spinning, or using the cross trainer on high resistance.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    why would you want tight hamstrings?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I get into my hami's a little in squats, I just make sure that I use them. Agreed, an incline is really good for this too, as well as rear leg lifts (with or without weight, ala Jane Fonda).
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    why would you want tight hamstrings?

Working the hami's =/= tight hami's as long as you're stretching. There's a lot of science behind the importance of strong hamstrings and how weak hamstrings compared to strong quads is the driving force behind knee injuries in females starting at a young age and increasing as you ge older and the disporportionate stregth between the two muscle groups increases.

That's a hell of a run-on sentence.
    another edit: just realized she did use the word "tighten" . . . I don't think that's really the right word to use. Tone, stregthen, but not tighten. leaving your hamstrings "tight" causes lower back pain, head aches, and can be a cause (like my DH) for plantars.
  • OneFitMom_
    OneFitMom_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love doing squats, lunges, and deadlifts.
  • lframent
    lframent Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks for all your help, everyone!
    And yes, allabtlm, I meant tone and strengthen. By tighten, I meant get rid of excess fat and really get into building a bit of muscle. Hope all is well, xx