Carpal tunnel surgery and kickboxing

Options
I am having carpal tunnel surgery on my left wrist in a month. I've been going to a 9 round kickboxing gym 4-5 days a week for the past couple of months. I love it and I'm seeing results. I am bummed that I have to take a break and afraid that I'll lose whatever progress I've made. How soon should I go back to the gym after my surgery? Thanks!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I think that would be a question for your surgeon as to how soon you can go back.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,685 Member
    Options
    You go back when you surgeon says you can.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sometimes life circumstances are such that we might lose a little progress but I've found I can rebuild more quickly. How much progress would you lose by going back too soon?
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    Options
    Why not simply, not use your left? Shadow box? By all means talk to your surgeon, but there are things that can be done.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    You’ll probably feel up for it relatively quickly, BUT you won’t be able to do anything where you need to put pressure on your hand for weeks to months.

You will prob not want to put boxing gloves on or punch bags for months, but cardio kickboxing (no impact) will be ok in 8-12 weeks, I would guess??

Follow dr’s orders - rest, elevate, ice, etc.!!!

It felt weird for me to slam the trunk of my car, open bottles, turn keys in locks, etc for a few months. Couldn’t do push-ups or down dog in yoga for a year after surgery. Couldn’t put my own bra on for 6-7 weeks. (Went back to work @ 8 weeks (in a lab), and had to be very careful lifting things for the first few weeks.). Walking/running was ok, but not until surgical swelling went away (throbbing pain is no fun!)
  • vcve1
    vcve1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Please don't ask anybody on this website that question. Even though they may be offering what they think is a good example they have no idea what they're talking about and they can give you some bad information that can cause a lot more damage.

The most important thing is to talk you to your surgeon and your physical therapist and they will give you a workout plan with the specific timeline. Do not try to beat that timeline. Your body needs time to heal itself

I speak with experience had a double hip replacement a couple years ago doctor told me I could play golf probably 4 months after the surgery. Tried playing didn't feel right took the whole year off and now I can play all I want. Don't focus on a short-term goal focus on the long-term