10k Calorie Challenge - Found this quite interesting

Options
Graelwyn75
Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
Video exploring how much fat is potentially gained when someone eats 10k calories in a day as opposed to their usual intake. I found it fairly informative, but others' views might differ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdaM3f_odqI

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    That was pretty interesting.. and painful haha. That is a lot of food. Gave me some ideas for when my cals get up there ;)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    That was pretty interesting.. and painful haha. That is a lot of food. Gave me some ideas for when my cals get up there ;)

Yeah, imagine he had one heck of a food baby from that lot.
  • asonrody
    asonrody Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Imagine this poor dude's food baby!

I like to watch the 10k challenges, but it really shocks me at times how these people can eat so much. If I eat an extra slice or two of pizza after I start to feel full I feel bad and can feel it through the next morning! I've always wondered if they gain weight afterwards so that was an interesting watch.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

Yeah, imagine he had one heck of a food baby from that lot.

Wouldn't want to use the bathroom after him the next day, that's for sure.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    There was a really good article/study posted earlier this year, unfortunately a quick search/google isn't bringing it up.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Given the use of the word "SCIENCE" (in all caps nonetheless) in the title, he made damn unscientific assertions and extrapolations of the results of the scientific papers well beyond reason. It's clear he has limited understanding of biology and how to extrapolate scientific data.
    1. He states that in the study of a 1000/calorie/day overfeed, the average was approximately 300 calories/day of extra TDEE. He then extends this in a linear fashion for a 7000 cal/day overfeed. TDEE increases would not be expected to increase linearly like this as there is an upper limit to how high TDEE would naturally increase.
    2. He extrapolates the fat gain based on the initial fat gains, but the lower fat gain in the higher carb group are due to energy from carbohydrates being stored as glycogen initially. Glycogen stores are limited (hence the need to fuel during a marathon, you cannot store enough glycogen to maintain race pace for 26.2 miles), so as you go higher and higher in calorie excess, you can no longer store any further glycogen. The remainder will be stored as fat.
    3. He doesn't seem to mention that the reason the fat storage converges for both groups is because of the above. As glycogen stores hit their upper limit, all remaining energy storage is in body fat stores. Given a large overfeed like this, it's expected his fat storage over the subsequent days would be higher than normal as his glycogen reserves are full. Just looking at fat storage over the very short term is losing the forest from the trees.

I eat around the same amount (3000/day), and the most I've been able to reach is 9000 calories in a day thus far since I've been tracking. I felt full to the point of feeling a bit ill at that point. I could have reached 10k for the day, but it would not have been enjoyable.

ETA another little nit: he says the cooking spray is 0 calories when it's only labeled as such because the serving size is something like 1/15 of a second spray which is fairly well known information for experienced calories counters... it's just oil in a spray can. He then proceeds to put at least 100 calories worth of oil in the pan.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I take it a step further and do a 10K calorie challenge while walking 10K steps. My body has no idea what it should do.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    His girlfriend did a 10k challange and aftermath video which was also very interesting!

10k challange video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPI5cuq3NPU

10k aftermath video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6cIbIvEGJM