No will power!

Options
I did so good the first day and then we had a special lucheon at work yesterday with fried chicken, macarooni and cheese and peanut butter cheescake for dessert. I ate it all and then felt guilty the rest of the day. I almost didn't put it in my diary, but then who am I fooling? I just have no will power when it comes to work parties.

Replies

• hollagolla
    Options
    Introduce exercise into you life and you can earn back loads of calories! Also give yaself a break its only your second day and you'll learn to say no eventually, it takes practice believe me!
  • bmmarti3
    bmmarti3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. You don't have to eat the food. People will harass you a little bit the first couple of times, but they eventually just acknowledge that you're eating better and dont really bother you about it. Go and socialize, but don't eat the bad food.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    It's tough at first, and some days will be easier than ever. What helps me is coming on here, knowing the guilt I feel after, and allowing myself small treats everyday. :) Also, exercise!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    You have to be willing to accept whether or not you want that guilty feeling, that miserable stuffed, carb overload feeling or if you want to choose health for yourself.

No one made you eat that food. You have to start telling yourself that you have options. Just because that food was in front of you does not mean you have to eat it. If you are really trying to make changes in your health, I am hoping you packed your own healthy lunch---next time just eat it. Otherwise, if you did not pack your own healthy lunch, then you are setting youself up for disappointment. There is no reason why people who are trying to improve their health should have to order fastfood or from restaurants for their lunch. Always take the time on a Sunday to prepare and shop for your work lunches--it will pay off. Being strong in front of coworkers will pay off. The more you do it, the easier it becomes and will become second nature.
  • mamaredhead
    Options
    What about "having it all" but only eating small portions?
    Different thought: What about changing the "menu" into something more healthy?

You don't have to feel bad -- find a solution that gets you where YOU want to be. You're right: Who are you fooling? You are doing this for yourself -- so be nice and think of a reward that you can let yourself have if you do better next time!!!

Keep on going, you can do it! :-)
  • FallonMCal
    Options
    Do the work parties happen often?
    If not. Select a few foods you would like and have only a small amount if they are not healthy.
    If they are a weekly occurrence you will have to bring your own lunch for most of them.
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    I know the feeling. You don't have to eat the food. People will harass you a little bit the first couple of times, but they eventually just acknowledge that you're eating better and dont really bother you about it. Go and socialize, but don't eat the bad food.

This! Very well said. :-)

Hang in there. At some point it gets easier to say no and you will feel better for it. Plan accordingly. When you know a party is happening, bring something you can eat so you can sit and eat and socialize as well.
  • yvonne150
    Options
    I Hear you! Whenever there is someones birthday at work or we have a new employee we always have cake and i always have some! Its really hard but i need to lose these pounds ASAP so i can feel better about myself. I say whenever they have a special luncheon just dont go or make sure you bring your lunch or go for a walk whilie they are having it. Idk if it will work but its worth a try
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Don't feel like you have to cut out everything from your diet. Remember that this is a lifestyle change.

Perhaps it is my time doing weight watchers, but it made me realize that you can eat some splurges (all about moderation), but it affects what you can eat later that day. If you want to eat those cookies, fine. But, that cuts into the rest of your calorie/nutrient totals. The easiest way I find myself failing is when I tell myself I CAN'T have something. Then, (I assume I am like most people) I want it more than anything else.

Hang in there, and don't worry. Everyday you get a new chance to make choices. Today, I choose to aim for my goal. :)
  • tnorkus
    tnorkus Posts: 45
    Options
    Acknowledge it and move on. You'll do better today then tomorrow then the next day. Its taken me a long time to be able to turn down the office birthday cakes!! They look so good and I have a giant sweet tooth.
  • jimswife1
    jimswife1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I work with ladies that like to do at least monthly carry ins. I generally bring something healthy, so I know I have something to choose from. It really does help change your frame of mind when you get some regular exercise, it makes you more aware of what you put in your body. Just use this experience as a learning tool and figure out what you will do different the next time, you can take a taste of everything, eatting less, exercise more that week, commit to a glass of water before you ever approach the food etc. Don't beat yourself up, being on this site, says you are ready for change. Best of luck.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Work parties are so so so tough, and they are always occurring. My best advice is to learn to be a grazer. Take a tiny bit of this and a tiny bit of that and call one plate more than good enough. Its tough to not join in on the festivities at work and really nobody wants to be the party pooper. So just try to make better choices out of the options and just sample a little rather than have a heaping serving. Definitely log it. Sometimes its hard to log it because its hard to know what you have consumed ingredient wise and what not, but just log it as something close to what you ate. Also, adjust your day around work parties accordingly. Eat less earlier in the day and after and make these other meals healthier than usual. Also, get in some extra exercise that day or the day after to counter the additional calories you consumed. And always....enjoy the party!
  • carolj53
    carolj53 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how you feel. I always go to these work luncheons saying...I'm only going to eat what's good for me, but then i get there and that logic goes out the window and I eat everything in sight. I have decided that I'm going to avoid temptation and not even go to them until I can control myself. If my co-workers think I am being anti-social, so be it. I have to look out for myself because no one else will. That said, don't be too hard on yourself. You are not alone. :wink:
  • millymoozie
    Options
    it gets easier ,,your right to beat yourself up over it as this is what will teach you to make better choices & say no ,,if we ate like that & didnt care then we would never start the lifestyle change ,so keep feeling bad ,,its early days & you will get round it eventually if you really want to & you are serious about changing your life . i promise its hard to change what you think about food but it soon comes easier enough that you dont miss the bad foods & dont want them ,,the key is to get a good exercise routine going & that will help to train your brain ,,when you workout your body desires good stuff & your brain will tell you healthy things because youve put so much into your workout ,,,so day 2 youve had problems ,day 3 your going to do good & day 4 you will do even better ,until your a couple of weeks down the line & in a good routine , keep at it ,dont give up & the best of luck to you ,it can be done xx