not hungry -- should i eat anyways?

Options
Not feeling hungry today but only at 700 calories so far with only a couple of hours left to bedtime. Should I force myself to eat or just listen to my hunger cues?

Replies

• shorayna
    shorayna Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would not eat if not hungry. I have some days like that too, maybe you had a lot of protein that usually keeps me full for hours.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
    The only days I find I'm able to eat way under without wanting to gnaw my own arm off are when I've gone way over the day before!

Otherwise, I try and get *most* of my calories in every day, on a consistent basis.
    I'm currently allowed about 1,800 as I'm on a bit of a cut, so if I can close out at 1,700 without feeling hungry then that's great for me.

But regularly taking in less than 1,000 calories a day is a bit of a warning flag tbh. Keep an eye on your average intake to make sure it's enough to keep you healthy.
  • BootyfulBikerZX10r
    BootyfulBikerZX10r Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I mean if this doesn't happen often then don't worry about it.

you can save the calories for another day that you are hungrier

or you can force eat the calories its up to you.

I struggle sometimes cause my goal is 2675 cal. Ive done all the above at different times.

Sometimes I know I won't wanna eat the leftover calories another day and thats why I force it. The reason I force to hit my calories is I'm nervous of shocking my body with lack of calories. When I do that then my body will hold onto fat longer and its harder for me to drop weight. If Im consistent in hitting my targets then I have a steady consistent -1.5lb loss every week. my mood is steady, and I don't have binges or cravings.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Maybe you want to add a hunger maintenance strategy. You can tweak your hunger level by increasing your ratio of carbs to fats+protein.
  • turtlemt20
    turtlemt20 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Still playing around with calories I need even though it's been 5 months of maintenance! Some days I'm barely eating and other days I end up eating over maintenance
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    turtlemt20 wrote: »
    Still playing around with calories I need even though it's been 5 months of maintenance! Some days I'm barely eating and other days I end up eating over maintenance

But, are you maintaining your weight? If you are then there is nothing at all wrong with this.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    turtlemt20 wrote: »

This is a few days old but it popped up so I'm responding.

If you have days where you eat a lot and days where you eat less, but you're balancing out over several days and your weight is staying where you want it to then you're ok. Our bodies don't know when it's midnight and the our food log starts over. It sounds like how some people utilize intermittent fasting which not an expert on and don't use myself. But I've seen people here talk about 5:2 fasting. You can search for posts on this sight and learn more about it. I understand it's perfectly healthy because you're getting the fuel and nutrients your body needs over the week even if you're under a couple of days.

If you start to see the scale dropping when you don't want it to then you're undereating too often and may need to make adjustments based on that.
  • turtlemt20
    turtlemt20 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yeah I guess it's fine since I'm maintaining but I'm a creature of habit and like to try to have the same food schedule every day instead of my appetite fluctuating
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me is that I listen to my body and hunger cues. I do not eat when I am not hungry and I eat more on those (physical/hormonal) hungry days.

It all balances out at the end of the week and I still don't gain or lose weight.

Veggies, protein and fiber keeps me satiated so I make sure I'm eating enough on the those hungry days.

I know what you mean by being a creature of habit. It can be a tough thing to break!
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Lol, I wish I had your problem!
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said; also, if you find yourself eating this little every day you should rule out acute anxiety and other underlying health problems. You know your body best so if something feels off please get it checked out.
  • drawaimfire
    drawaimfire Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @turtlemt20 Do you have any history of ED? If yes, eat something. If no, maybe don't eat something. But you may end up ravenous tomorrow and make staying within calorie limits tomorrow difficult. 2 tbs of peanut butter and a cold Honeycrisp apple would easily add 300-400 calories to your day and taste delicious!

Not sure why you got flagged?!

Some days you will go over others under, but like many have said above, if your week balances and their are no underlying emotional or mental health issues, its not anything to worry about. I do understand the drive for routine, but not everything can be so easily converted to that so go easy on yourself and congratulations for being in maintenance.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    700 cals pretty low. I would suggest eating something, even if it doesnt get you to your calorie goal. I know the feeling though. My appetite is low most days but I do have a history of eating disorders that I dont want to slide back into so I do end up forcing myself to eat if Im not hungry. If this happens often it might help to add in some more calorie dense food.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely eat to my numbers, hungry or not. I trust the math a lot more than my "hunger" (which is dictated by a ton of factors besides the emptiness of my stomach).