How to Not Starve on 1200-1400 Calories/Day - My Tip

Options
I think I have figured out how to not feel like you're starving all the time on 1200-1400 calories/day and I wanted to share in case it helps you. I know people love their bread/pasta and this may not work for everyone but it worked for me. I'm a 42YO female and just a couple pounds away from my goal weight now. I'm 5'9 started out in February 2017 at 180, and am down to 156 on around 1200-1300 calories a day. I am tracking of course (which is a must-do for me) but my tip is I am following a Paleo-type diet (I've learned there is a lot of flexibility in the definition of Paleo diet) and I cut out most processed food (such as bread, tortillas, baked goods, sugar, etc). I try to stick to meat, fruits, veggies, nuts and healthy fats like avocado - basically I stick to whole foods. I still eat potatoes and sweet potatoes in their natural form and all fruits, but mostly stay away from corn and grains (I occasionally eat rice but not usually). I also stay away from Paleo-branded baked goods since they are processed. I do still drink a couple times a week (typically just 1 shot of brandy or a glass of red wine). I also occasionally have a scoop of ice cream or something but it's rare and I don't really crave junk much anymore. I have a desk job (sedentary) but I exercise a few times a week typically doing Piyo maybe 3 or 4 times a week for 30 minutes. Why do I think this type of diet is key for me? I lost the same amount of weight a few years ago on WW but I felt like I was starving all the time so it didn't last and I was right back up where I started within the year. This time around has been so much more positive and I think it's due to the change in diet. Last time I lost weight it was a lot of highly processed frozen WW meals, lean cuisine, low-cal bread, low-cal baked goods, etc. I think the difference with whole foods is that it keeps me full longer. Again, I know this isn't for everyone and lean cuisine meals work for others, but if you're having trouble coping with low calories I hope this helps.

Replies

• HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! I'm going to wean myself in this direction. I am starving all the time, and eating more to compensate, and this has stalled my weight loss.
  • the0cuteness
    the0cuteness Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do you know what macros have been the most filling for you on 1200?
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You pretty much had an exception for every one of your "rules" so basically, you are counting calories..,
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Bulking meals out with lettuce, mushrooms, cabbage really works for filling the tummy for few calories

psyllium really helps too by bulking out the belly

http://www.ergo-log.com/psyllium-boosts-chance-of-successful-weight-loss.html
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Do you know what macros have been the most filling for you on 1200?

Protein, fiber and fat......a different combination for everyone. No one can tell you what keeps you full.

I don't do 1200 because I'm not elderly or very petite (and don't want lean muscle loss). 1200 is a default minimum (before exercise)......so don't feel bad if this doesn't work for you.

Also keep in mind large deficits make it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. So there's that trade-off for fast weight loss.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Bulking meals out with lettuce, mushrooms, cabbage really works for filling the tummy for few calories

psyllium really helps too by bulking out the belly

http://www.ergo-log.com/psyllium-boosts-chance-of-successful-weight-loss.html
    It makes me constipated. I have tried adding more water.......