HUGH Sushi and RICE fan. Help?

2»

Replies

• gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Take some cauliflower florets. Put it in a food processor and chop until a rice consistency. Scoop into a bowl and cook for 3 minutes.

Replace the rice in your recipes with cauliflower rice... YUM! :smile:

never heard of that before! you just cook it in the microwave?
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Take some cauliflower florets. Put it in a food processor and chop until a rice consistency. Scoop into a bowl and cook for 3 minutes.

Yep. I make it all the time.

You can use it to make a healthy fried rice, burritos, sushi, chipotle burrito bowls, chicken and rice, jambalaya, or even stuffed peppers!
  • funayman
    funayman Posts: 21 Member
    annndddd bumping for later
  • AllieB
    AllieB Posts: 73

You can use it to make a healthy fried rice, burritos, sushi, chipotle burrito bowls, chicken and rice, jambalaya, or even stuffed peppers!

How do you make healthy fried rice with that? Sounds great!
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    I don't think sushi is bad for you at all. It think everyone has given great tips. Start with edamame or miso soup. Stick with sashimi a lot or with simple rolls. Spicy tuna is another word for tuna mixed with mayo! Try to stick with nigiri (the fish on top of the rice) rather than rolls to cut back a little bit. I always try to have a veggie only roll to fill me up. Some of them are pretty tasty and you don't even miss the fish. I'd skip the all you can eat if I were you because you will over eat no matter what.

My theory is, how may fat Asian people do you see? (Well, that actually live in asian countries!) Fish and rice are not bad for you. It's all about portion sizes and avoiding the "American" sushi that's deep fried or has tons of mayo.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    I love sushi and rice. I could eat it all day everyday. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions how I still might be able to keep this in my diet and not over in calories. I cant eat the brown rice. It just taste like cardboard to me.
    Also I have IBS which elimates the use of anything spicy, peppers, ginger, cabbage, corn(can have very little), and have to avoid citrus stuff.

Also have I have trigeminal neuralgia which doesnt allow me to chew harder foods. like steak, pork chops and anything tough like that.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Eat sashimi. Have rice on the side. Also eat vegetables in higher amounts.
  • eileenc813
    eileenc813 Posts: 1 Member
    You really don't need another website to calculate sushi calories - there are a ton of different types on the food diary database. And with a california roll being 255 calories (with white rice) thats a perfect lunch. Brown rice is more nutritious and has fiber, but no lower in calories. Of course, if you're counting carbs, maybe just go with sashimi...
  • mandahq
    mandahq Posts: 88 Member

I just made a pizza base with cauliflower tonight. And two nights ago had a bowl of the "riced" cauliflower with soya sauce and butter. It was really good. I dont see why you cant do stir fry with it.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member

1 serving of cauliflower rice, 1/4 cup cooked egg beaters/egg whites, 1/4 cup diced peppers, 2 Tbsp diced onion, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper (optional). Combine and bake at 400 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes, or sautee in a skillet.

Add baked tilapia, shrimp, beef strips or grilled chicken to make it a full meal. I hope this helps!
  • acmorris77
    acmorris77 Posts: 80 Member
    I order my sushi rolls without the rice. I can eat so much more of it and not all of the filling rice. It's the same thing but wrapped in nori. Most all sushi places will do that for you.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    What an odd question. I've always considered sushi to be a low calorie healthy food. Brown rice doesn't have less calories than white.

Maybe work on the "eat it all day everyday" part. Just eat when you are hungry and stay within your calorie goals.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    I would eat a roll or two or order sashimi w a half cup of white rice, I think it's more about portion control... There's not so much rice in one roll.
    I LOVE sushi!