Beginner at running!

Options
Does someone want to give me some advice on when and what I should eat before and after a run?

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Are you just starting out? Following a programme such as couch to 5k

Really, eating is up to you. On my morning runs, I have nothing more than a glass of water, but I don’t run more than about 5/6 miles like that. Longer runs I want some food in me, but I’d wait a couple of hours after eating to run.

After running I tend not to be hungry, but I’ve learnt to have a protein shake or chocolate milk soon after which makes my legs hurt less. Again, it depends on distance.

Try a few things out. You won’t want a big meal before running (although I can happily run a half marathon on a full English)
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It’s a lot of trial and error. Most folks cannot stomach eating before a run because it can cause digestional distress (not fun when you’re a few miles from home). Some eat a light snack a hour or two before running like a banana. Personally, my go to is breakfast turkey sausages before a morning run, but I cannot run without eating or I get faint. So it’s a lot of testing to see what works for you.

After a run, I’m never hungry, but will typically force something down like a protein shake in case I don’t regain much of my appetite back.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I would also be curious about what the more experienced runners have to say on this topic. Right now I'm jogging twice a day for 10 to 15 minutes each time, with a thirty-minute jog on weekends. In the morning I jog before eating, and I haven't really changed my eating patterns at all, although I have been adding about 100 calories of something sugary mid-afternoon. I have the suspicion it doesn't really matter at this low level, but again, I'd be interested in what the vets have to say.

ETA: clearly, the vets type faster than me. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Does someone want to give me some advice on when and what I should eat before and after a run?

how beginner are you?

for short distances it really doesn't matter as long as you are eating enough in general.

i do short runs fasted on a morning, anything over 4 miles i would eat my usual breakfast (protein enriched cereal) an hour before i run. or just eat it after.

when i run after work i will have a small snack (anything from a spoonful of peanut butter to some crackers or a bag of crisps) if i am hungry. and then i will eat my tea about an hour after i get home.

to work out calories burnt, so you aren't over estimating

bodyweight in lbs x 0.63 x distance in miles

is pretty accurate.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    start off slow, and work your way up, do not overdo it.a little bit at a time
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Personally I'm comfortable running without anything more than a coffee for short runs of up to 10 miles. That does take adaptation so it'll take time to build up what you can cope with.

If I'm going longer I'll have porridge and/ or a banana.

I'd suggest that, as a new runner, you probably don't need to bother about specific eating patterns as long as you're generally eating enough. Avoid a deep deficit.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I never eat before running unless I'm doing more than 9-10 miles (then I'll have something light like half a piece of toast, some dried fruit, or a piece of fruit). I usually eat breakfast right after my run so that takes care of that.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I'm a diabetic, not on any meds but metformin. Testing my blood glucose levels shows that I need about 10 to 15g of carbs before a thirty minute run to stay in comfortable levels - otherwise I'm dropping into the high 60's and low 70's which isn't really dangerous but doesn't feel good. My glucose also continues to drop faster than usual after running for about twenty-four hours. So I eat something before like a small glass of milk and half a banana, or an orange, and I eat a fun pack of smarties (5g of mostly straight dextrose) after running and before driving home.

There's not much point to eating fat or protein just before running, they aren't metabolized fast enough to affect you and they do slow down digestion and sit on your stomach.

Basically if you are a healthy person, your liver should learn to keep up with your glucose needs, but if you aren't used to it, a few extra carbs before running will make things easier. It's not true that running fasted is necessary to lose weight.
  • simonscholtz
    simonscholtz Posts: 1 Member
    Options

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Some people always run fasted. Some like a small carb-heavy snack. Most experienced runners will tell you not to eat a large meal immediately before you run; it might make you feel sick during your workout. I usually have a banana before I run and then my regular breakfast afterward.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything before my short runs. If I am doing anything over 10 miles I eat a banana. By trial and error, I found that I can't stomach anything but a banana before running. All those runner snacks, gels, etc make my stomach turn during a long run.
  • FITandFLY1
    FITandFLY1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Coffee or just plain water for 4 miles or less. I eat breakfast afterwards
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of coffee ot two before a morning run, anything else makes me sick. if I'm doing anything over 5 miles I eat a starburst or jolly rancher as I run, but that is because lately I have been having issues with my blood sugar dropping.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Another diabetic (type 2, metformin only) who has been running about a year. I eat a small meal about an hour before running - my go-to is an egg on toast with a small juice. Otherwise, my blood sugars crash hard. I will try to get a small snack - an apple or a low sugar granola bar - within an hour of stopping depending on how hard I have run. For half marathons, I eat my go-to before and I use gel packs during to make sure I don't have a blood sugar crash before the end (and afterward the half, I eat pretty much whatever I want!)
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

how beginner are you?

for short distances it really doesn't matter as long as you are eating enough in general.

i do short runs fasted on a morning, anything over 4 miles i would eat my usual breakfast (protein enriched cereal) an hour before i run. or just eat it after.

when i run after work i will have a small snack (anything from a spoonful of peanut butter to some crackers or a bag of crisps) if i am hungry. and then i will eat my tea about an hour after i get home.

to work out calories burnt, so you aren't over estimating

bodyweight in lbs x 0.63 x distance in miles

is pretty accurate.

Just wanted to save this for the great equation for calories burnt.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I run late morning or afternoon, usually, so after breakfast or lunch. If it's a short run, I can eat lightly an hour before my run. If it's a long run, I'll wait two hours or so. If I'm hungry or feeling low on energy, I'll have a banana or glass of juice just before the run. After a short run, I don't usually eat anything extra. I'll just wait until my next meal. After a hard run, I'll eat fruit or a sandwich, unless it's near dinnertime. Then I'll just drink some Gatorade or juice.