Always hungry!

Options
Fed up with being hungry! MFP is at 1200 to lose 2lbs a week. And I really want to lose 2lbs a week desperately, but the last week or so I can't stop eating. And I'm eating around 2200 all together, not happy about it but also not happy when I'm hungry. Even if I drink water after a meal, have a coffee, have a pint of water, I'm hungryyy. And noone likes me when I'm hungry. Do I just have to ride it out?? What makes you go NO stop eating!!

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have never tried to eat 1200 calories so I do not know. If I find myself hungry though, it generally means I have not eaten enough. Also if you are just starting it could be that you are just used to eating more and may not really be hungry. You may have to set your goal lower so that you can eat more food. If it set too low and you are going way over then it is counterproductive anyway.
  • Jayj180894
    Jayj180894 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    I have never tried to eat 1200 calories so I do not know. If I find myself hungry though, it generally means I have not eaten enough. Also if you are just starting it could be that you are just used to eating more and may not really be hungry. You may have to set your goal lower so that you can eat more food. If it set too low and you are going way over then it is counterproductive anyway.

I can't eat just that. That's the thing. Today I've had 2500 kcal and I'm sat here hungry! That's way over my maintenace and will have to make up tomorrow.
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue, so I've been "trying" to eat more veggies as my snack, but when I run out I end up eating junk and empty calories. I have lost some weight but I have stalled, feel free to add me, my diary is open if you need some food idea. I also want to know what foods could help keep you full without loading up sooooo many calories. Good luck
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Fill up on salad or low cal veg and have celery/peppers and tomatoes to snack on. Celery is especially good as it's so low calorie you can pretty much eat as much as you want. Also try a Low cal soup, a mug or bowl before each meal will help fill you up.
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    I have a similar issue, so I've been "trying" to eat more veggies as my snack, but when I run out I end up eating junk and empty calories. I have lost some weight but I have stalled, feel free to add me, my diary is open if you need some food idea. I also want to know what foods could help keep you full without loading up sooooo many calories. Good luck

I'm eating more veggies too! But they aren't filling me! End uo eating the whole kitchen before I'm satisfied!! Them I feel happy I'm not hungry but angry that I've eaten so much!
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I’ve seen a volume eaters thread in the food and nutrition feed...maybe some good ideas on there to get to eat a lot of food for a low amount of calories. I find that once I get used to eating less calories I stop craving as much. I get ravenous if I’m doing any strength training.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Jayj180894 wrote: »
    Fed up with being hungry! MFP is at 1200 to lose 2lbs a week. And I really want to lose 2lbs a week desperately, but the last week or so I can't stop eating. And I'm eating around 2200 all together, not happy about it but also not happy when I'm hungry. Even if I drink water after a meal, have a coffee, have a pint of water, I'm hungryyy. And noone likes me when I'm hungry. Do I just have to ride it out?? What makes you go NO stop eating!!

Sure, undereating can lead to overeating. How tall are you and how many pounds to your goal weight?

Trying to lose too fast is a recipe for burnout and binging.
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    TxTiffani wrote: »
    I’ve seen a volume eaters thread in the food and nutrition feed...maybe some good ideas on there to get to eat a lot of food for a low amount of calories. I find that once I get used to eating less calories I stop craving as much. I get ravenous if I’m doing any strength training.

Thanks I'll give it a look!! Yea after strength training I could eat a horse. Which isnt great cos that I do at least 3 x a week! I suppose if it was easy we would all be the weight we wanted wouldn't we. It just drives me up the wall some times!!
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Sure, undereating can lead to overeating. How tall are you and how many pounds to your goal weight?

The thing is its not even like I am under eating! My goal is 1200 but I exceed it daily!! My best day this week was when I ate 1700. My goal weight is 10 stone. I'm currently 13 stone. And I'm only 5'5
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Protein is oftentimes the thing that helps people to feel full, for others it's fats. Perhaps playing with those elements might help you. Or just accept that 2lbs a week isn't realistic for you, it happens. The process doesn't have to be miserable. With you doing strength training, you're eating back some of your exercise calories, right?
  • Jayj180894
    Options
    Protein is oftentimes the thing that helps people to feel full, for others it's fats. Perhaps playing with those elements might help you. Or just accept that 2lbs a week isn't realistic for you, it happens. The process doesn't have to be miserable. With you doing strength training, you're eating back some of your exercise calories, right?

Yea maybe you're right I might have to go to 1lbs a week. But it's just frustrating cos I've done it before and it was fine! I don't think it help at the moment as I'm not on work so at home a lot. When I start my job on Monday that may help! Yea I'm eating my calories back, think I would die if not lol! I initially thought it was 50-75% ypu could eat back but learnt the other day it's 25%-50% which was disheartening!!! Hahaha
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    Hi, in my experience, I can be starving on 2000 kcals a day if it is mainly sugars and fat, and feel full and content if my meals are based on vegstables and fruits like green beans, spinach, chic peas, lentils, apples, kiwis.

Not all food and all kind of calories gives you the feeling of being full. Some, like white bread, pasta, white rice, and cereal products with added sugars, even makes you feel even hungrier.

And fats like you find them in dairy products are fich in calories but do nothing for satisfying your hunger.

I guess you already eat a balanced diet. Still, my suggestion will be to keep track of which foods makes you feel full for a long time, and which ones makes you feel hungry again within just a few hours after eating.

Good luck! Let us know how you are doing
  • peterbuller8
    peterbuller8 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You can eat back as many as you want if you are hungry then your not eating enough or the right things .
    I went from 4000 a day to 2200 and it nearly killed me so i went back up to 3500 and dropped it a 100 or so a week yes it took longer but now i'm on 1800 a day and 17kg lighter and some days i cant eat that much (others i eat over).
    The thing is you need to take your time this is not a race but a lifestyle change so if your hungry all the time your more likely to give up.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’2 and I’ve eaten at 1200 calories before (currently at 1500 for 1 lb a week loss versus 2).

If you are constantly thinking about food and when you’re going to eat next, then you’re not really hungry and it’s more of an emotional issue. If you’re feeling your stomach gurgle and it’s kind of hollow feeling, then you’re hungry. I know it’s hard to reduce calories, like others have said before me, maybe it’s time to increase your calorie intake. I know for me, visually seeing that I have 200 calories left versus 5 on 1200 calorie diet makes it easier for me to stay within my calorie range of 1200-1500 (I have 75+ pounds to lose).

I would also suggest that you look at what you’re eating. If it’s all carbs and very low in fat and protein, think about switching items playing with your macros.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Start slow! eat at maintenance and reduce by 100 cals every week til you get to the cal goal for the rate you want. (go for 1.5/lbs a week, the extra 250 cals really makes a difference in your morale!)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

The thing is its not even like I am under eating! My goal is 1200 but I exceed it daily!! My best day this week was when I ate 1700. My goal weight is 10 stone. I'm currently 13 stone. And I'm only 5'5
    But you are trying to undereat. 5'5 is not "only", you're average height. You need more food. Hunger is your body's way of telling you that. You can't lose 2 pounds per week, because you don't have enough fat stores to lose 2 pounds per week. This means that you have no reason to be desperate. Weight comes off in its own good time. Try to enjoy the process instead of fighting your own body. Inside tip: If you fight it, your body is going to win.
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Arizona_C wrote: »
    Hi, in my experience, I can be starving on 2000 kcals a day if it is mainly sugars and fat, and feel full and content if my meals are based on vegstables and fruits like green beans, spinach, chic peas, lentils, apples, kiwis.

Not all food and all kind of calories gives you the feeling of being full. Some, like white bread, pasta, white rice, and cereal products with added sugars, even makes you feel even hungrier.

And fats like you find them in dairy products are fich in calories but do nothing for satisfying your hunger.

I guess you already eat a balanced diet. Still, my suggestion will be to keep track of which foods makes you feel full for a long time, and which ones makes you feel hungry again within just a few hours after eating.

Good luck! Let us know how you are doing

Couldn't have said it better myself! If I through in starchy carbs and sugars. I am starving. Get my veg, protein, and dairy and I am full on 1200 to 1400 calories.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Have you recently started strength training? I started about 3 months ago and right when I started there was a 2 week period were I was ravenous, I even posted it on here. I found out it is pretty common to have an increased appetite when you begin strength training, but it will calm down as your body gets used to it. I find it helps me to have a high carb and protein breakfast on days I strength train. I bought some P28 protein bagels and put 2 tbsp. of peanut butter on for some fat as well. I hope this helps!