Frozen yogurt- great alternative to ice cream

Options
MoonIite
MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
I put two yogurt cups (with a popsicle stick in the middle) in my freezer last night. I just took one out and it is amazing! It doesn't replace ice cream (what will?) but they're a delicious treat without the guilt.

Replies

• muthrb
    muthrb Posts: 16
    Options
    Another delicious treat. Try freezing a couple of bananas overnight then grinding then in a blender to the consistency on ice cream.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, yes! I loveee frozen yogurt! I'm actually going with my friends today, after the gym ironically haha. But, my friends and I get it once a week as a treat! :) LOVE it!
  • skinnysawyer
    Options
    There's a new yogurt bar that opened up by my house recently, so good!! It's self-serve soft-serve and they offer fresh fruit toppings! =) Used to treat myself to it all the time but am now experimenting with a no wheat/no dairy diet.

Anyone know if there is yogurt or ice cream created from coconut milk or almond milk?
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love Ben and Jerrys frozen yogurt. cherry garcia and strawberry cheesecake...mmmm! Its only 150cals for 100gs. best thing is none of my friends can tell that its not ice cream, and love it too!
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Another delicious treat. Try freezing a couple of bananas overnight then grinding then in a blender to the consistency on ice cream.
    Saw that just the other day on a recipe blog! Glad you reminded me, hitting Trader Joe's today so I'll be sure to pick up some bananas (can't beat their price!).

How ripe are the bananas you use when you make yours? The recipe blog suggested ripe ones and slicing them (then freezing them for a bit) then use the blender and toss in some Natural Peanut Butter (or any other Nut Butters would work fine as well) and it's like banana PB ice cream. Sounded good and the cals etc. are decent as you're not adding anything extra.

Would love to hear if you use regular or over ripe bananas, I think I'd prefer not using the over ripe unless necessary because of the GI factor (glycemic index is higher the riper fruit gets especially bananas for anyone wondering why I bring up the GI factor). But I can see how they might be easier to mix up? I don't know her reasoning if it was sweetness or ...?

Thanks for all the ideas on the list & to the OP for starting the thread..always fun to create healthy treats, particularly in the Summer.:flowerforyou:
  • anelahm
    anelahm Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    There's a new yogurt bar that opened up by my house recently, so good!! It's self-serve soft-serve and they offer fresh fruit toppings! =) Used to treat myself to it all the time but am now experimenting with a no wheat/no dairy diet.

Anyone know if there is yogurt or ice cream created from coconut milk or almond milk?

i was at the health food store yesterday looking for frozen treats, and i saw one that had the label almond breeze on it, i didnt grab it and have a good look at it, but im pretty sure they do.
  • Becca_007
    Options
    This will be happening in my house tonight! :love: Yum! Lucky me my bananas got over ripe way too fast, sigh, the humidity I guess... but guess it'll be banana ice cream now!:wink::tongue:
  • Becca_007
    Options

i was at the health food store yesterday looking for frozen treats, and i saw one that had the label almond breeze on it, i didnt grab it and have a good look at it, but im pretty sure they do.
    I definitely saw coconut milk ice cream my last trip to the health food store. Never tried it myself though.:flowerforyou: