Keep adding time to planks or something else?

Options
jenifer7teen
jenifer7teen Posts: 205 Member
edited October 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I've worked up to 5 minute forearm planks and think they've helped me gain ab definition BUT I am not sure if there is a point in continuing to try to add more time? I usually plank at the beginning of each workout. Should I just maintain this or will there be additional gains to adding more time?! Fyi I do many other "ab" exercises including mason twists w/weights, leg lifts, suitcase carries, pull ups etc... I am just asking specifically if it's silly to add more time or is the benefit kind of already achieved after a certain point? Hope this question makes sense...gah

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i do a different ab exercise every workout, planks are in the rotation about once a month. What is it you wanna get out of ab exercises? that will determine what you should do, but generally a variety of ab workouts is always safe.

Have you ever tried planking with your feet or hands in the TRX. or even harder you can both your feet and hands in 2 trx's hanging body distance apart. The trx takes planking to a whole new level of torture.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Feet elevated, side planks, feet elevated side planks, side planks with abductions...there's all kinds of variations
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Once one gets to the 2min mark on planks it is a good idea to start doing variations as a means of progression.

Here is a guide with numerous variations to try.
    https://skinnymom.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Final-Ultimate-Plank-Guide-2013.pdf

Cheers, h.

Thanks for posting this.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Once one gets to the 2min mark on planks it is a good idea to start doing variations as a means of progression.

Here is a guide with numerous variations to try.
    https://skinnymom.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Final-Ultimate-Plank-Guide-2013.pdf

Cheers, h.

Quite true. And there's very nearly zero benefit(besides bragging) to going beyond 5 minutes.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I usually plank at the beginning of each workout. Should I just maintain this or will there be additional gains to adding more time?! Fyi I do many other "ab" exercises including mason twists w/weights, leg lifts, suitcase carries, pull ups etc

At the start of the workout, 30 seconds of planks should be enough to "warm up" your abs. Doing too much can fatigue your abs, which could negatively affect your form on your other exercises. Personally i skip ab warmups in favor of light warmup sets of the lifts i'm scheduled to do.

As an actual ab workout, planks and their variations are probably redundant and unnecessary, considering all the other ab exercises you do. :+1:
  • nw623
    nw623 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congrats! As others have said, consider more advanced planks. Youtube is a great place to get ideas. My go to videos are Fitness Blender. I recently saw an advanced plank workout by them. Perhaps your five 5 minute plank might be a 4 minute and 50 second plank ;)
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Bosu ball planks work those stabilizers more.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Yes, variations are the key. I downloaded a plank challenge app to my phone and I use that all the time. It forces me to do variations instead of getting lazy and just doing the ones that are easy for me.
  • jenifer7teen
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess I kind of had a sense that maybe continuing to add time might not be really beneficial and it sounds like most agree. I still feel a bit unsure of WHY this is true though. I mean I understand how the body acclimates to any repeated activity so you start to lose some of the benefit but using that logic you wouldn't keep adding time or reps to anything....or I guess how do you know at what point to stop? If I did a wall sit for 30 seconds or 2 minutes or 5...what would be a good goal or when do you "change it up". Although cardio is different than a plank, I still see how the body adjusts. I used to sweat and be tired after two minutes of running and now it's usually 15minutes in before I start to breatheheavily....but just because an activity gets easier, does it really mean there isn't some maintenance benefit to your body? I mean, if I quit doing my regular pre-workout plank I am sure I will lose the ability to hold one for as long so...i am still a bit confused. I certainly won't push to add more time, but I still kind of feel like maintaining the strength to do it is not something I want to lose.?! Maybe I will just alternate extended time days with extended variations on other days.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    If you have access to rings try doing them hanging from the rings with your feet on a medicine ball. Whole new level of good pain. Another thing to try is going from forearm plank and transition to a extended pushup position and back to forearms. Will add arm, shoulder and back workout to your planks.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    With regards to your query about why 2 minutes for a plank is good but 5 min is taking it too far.

Basically it is because you are not progressing in strength, your abs are no longer getting an added benefit.
    (Unless you need abs for endurance)

Say you were doing dumbbell curls and you only had a 10 lbs weight, and when you started it was heavy.
    So your first workout is 1set of 5 reps, next day you rest so your muscles can recover.
    After 2-3 workouts your muscles have adapted to the weight and it is not as hard, you add another set 2x5.

This is hard and it takes you another few days before your muscles aren't challenged.

By the end of the month you are up to 3x5 and that now is getting easy so you up the reps gradually until you are at 3x12.

Now all that time you have been adding volume even though the weight has been the same, so improving strength.

However now at 3x12 you have maxed out that weight and,though you could carry on increasing sets or reps, all you would be doing is increasing endurance, not strength.

When doing your planks you are working on strengthening your abs through a bodyweight exercise, if you go over a certain time, in this instance the general consensus is 2 min, you have moved from strength to endurance. The straight plank is no longer strengthening your abs so instead of adding weight, like you would with a dumbbell you add complexity, hence variations.

Hope that helps.

Cheers, h.
    eta: the difference with running is your goal is to build endurance, with bodyweight or weight training you are aiming for strengthening the muscle and/or hypertrophy.
  • jenifer7teen
    Options
    ^ that makes total sense now that you explained it! Thanks for taking the time to respond!
  • jenifer7teen
    edited October 2017
    Options
    .....oh, a follow up question: IS there a benefit to gaining ab endurance (vs strengthl)? Like, would it make me a better cyclist?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    .....oh, a follow up question: IS there a benefit to gaining ab endurance (vs strengthl)? Like, would it make me a better cyclist?

By doing ever extending time with a straight elbow plank, I don't think so, as it is a static move.
    Cycling will build any endurance the abs need for cycling, just like it does for legs. Building strong abs will help with developing endurance for cycling.
    A variety of ab moves would be more beneficial than just doing one move.

Cheers, h.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

By doing ever extending time with a straight elbow plank, I don't think so, as it is a static move.
    Cycling will build any endurance the abs need for cycling, just like it does for legs. Building strong abs will help with developing endurance for cycling.
    A variety of ab moves would be more beneficial than just doing one move.

Cheers, h.

Agreed that gaining strength will translate into endurance. You should be working your core in all planes. I am a huge fan of levers and all the progressions leading up to them. As well as L-sits, bridges, leg raises, ab wheels,
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Feet elevated, side planks, feet elevated side planks, side planks with abductions...there's all kinds of variations

This is great, also try doing mountain climbers in a high plank. Do about 20, hold for about 30 seconds, then back to high plank and in the same high plank position, stretch your arms out farther. It's much tougher to hold a stretched out high plank then just a forearm one. Just a plain plank like you said does work but can get super boring. We plank all the time at our boxing club and it's good to change it up.