Fitbit owners - have anyone else's exercise calories suddenly changed?

Options
mlinci
mlinci Posts: 403 Member
edited October 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been syncing my Fitbit steps to my MFP account, set to not very active, for a couple of years now. I tend to do 11-12k steps per day, and would usually "earn" 400-500 extra calories for that, bringing my total expenditure to about 2100 calories a day. I'm a 5'5 woman and weigh about 138lbs.

I know every now and then something would go wrong with synching the steps, and it would usually self-correct and come back to normal in a few days.

This week, just as I'm on holiday in New Orleans and enjoying lots of great food, at the beginning of the week MFP stopped synching the Fitbit calories altogether. On Tuesday, it kind of started synching steps again, but not to the same extent as before. For example, today I've already done close to 14,000 steps, and my basic setting is still "not very active", to allow for Fitbit steps. And it's telling me I've earned only 170 calories. That can't be right for 14k steps. In the past I'd get about 650 or so extra calories for that amount of walking.

Usually when I've had a Fitbit problem I'd look at the forum and see lots of posts about Fitbit so I'd know others are experiencing the same, but I can't see anyone talking about it now. I've tried the usual remedies of disconnecting and reconnecting the Fitbit, but it's not helping.

Has anyone got any ideas what might be happening?

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Are you in a different time zone now? Check that both MFP and Fitibit are set for the same time zone.
  • mlinci
    Options
    Hm, I am in a different time zone (I'm normally in the U.K.) and it's true I changed the time zone on the Fitbit but not on MFP - I have just corrected that. No change with exercise calories as the result, at least not yet.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Has it recognised all 14k steps? Sometimes mine takes a while to sync
  • mlinci
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It's recognised all the steps, it's just not giving me all the earned calories for them :(
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Just an off the cuff suggestion, where the steps at a more sedate pace than usual, I don't know if that a difference on MFP, I know it does on the calories given to me on my fitbit. Another thought, has you activity setting on MFP changed to a more active level, that might do it.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    mlinci wrote: »
    Ooh, stop the press - maybe changing the time zone did it after all - it's suddenly self corrected from 170 to 550 calories. Phew! I can enjoy my jambalaya for dinner.

It would take a lot more than a 380 step differential to stop me from enjoying a pile of New Orleans Jambalaya. ;-)