Odd question-probably overthinking

Options
Do you shower/wash your hair everyday?

I started working out 6 days a week, but I hate washing my hair everyday. My hair is very fine and chunks of my hair fall out each shower, from what I understand it's not 'healthy' for anyone's hair to be washed everyday.

So I'm wondering what everyone here does?

I'm a sweater, my hairline gets very sweaty so I imagine if I were to shower but just not wash my hair, that my head would smell of BO from letting sweat stay in it.

This is really such a weird question to ask but I really am curious.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I shower every day but definitely don't wash my hair every day. My head doesn't smell.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I go dancing (4+ hrs of fast lindy hop) pretty much every day. My scalp SWEATS. I wash my hair with shampoo every day. When I do vintage styles I use a lot of product too. I minimize hair loss by using gentle hair ties (or just cutting them out, lol) and using a tangle teaser instead of a brush.

If I shower at 7 am, I often use dry shampoo before going out for the evening at 9 pm. Yay for fine, fair hair that shows oil.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I have oily skin and hair, so sometimes I have to wash it every day, sometimes every other day. I go by whether it needs it.

Unwashed hair doesn't really smell of BO because the same bacteria that cause that smell don't live in your hair. If you've ever been around people who are unable to take showers for a while, it takes a week or more for unwashed hair to smell like much of anything, and when it does, the smell is different from body odor.

If you don't like sweaty hair, though, just rinsing your hair with water won't hurt it. It's the shampoo which strips natural oils, and the drying process can also be bad for it.

It's normal for a few hairs to come out but "chunks" sounds alarming, my hair does not come out in chunks when I wash it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Just rinse it.

I have lots of thick coarse hair. I use shampoo around once a week. On in between days I either rinse it and run conditioner through or, once in awhile, I use dry shampoo. When I do the latter I have to straighten it though.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I have fine hair as well. Every day I run (5-6 days/week), I give my hair one wash with a shampoo/conditioner in one. It takes about a minute. I don't think it makes my hair fall out more than it would otherwise. Every once in a while I give it a good conditioning. I figure it's better for the hair to be clean than covered with salt. Days that I don't run, but do walk/hike I'll usually just rinse it unless I sweat a lot.
  • eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every other day and use dry shampoo.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair at least once a day. If I didn't wash it after a workout it would stink.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I condition my hair daily but only wash a couple of times a week.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I only shampoo and condition twice a week, the rest of the time I wear a cloth headband while working out and then let the sweat dry and brush it out. I have very long hair and it takes ages to dry unless I use heat, which I prefer to avoid. I've been thinking of checking out dry shampoo but haven't been bothered yet.
  • Bookworm1860
    Bookworm1860 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Frequent shampooing might cause dryness but not hair loss. If it's falling out more than normal make sure you're not under eating and that you're hitting your protein and fat goals. If your macros are all good talk to your doctor.

I shampooed daily for decades, I only cut back because it got hard to find shampoos I'm not allergic to and they are pricey. I currently usually just use shampoo twice a week, I use conditioner daily (including scalp). If I get really sweaty I shampoo more often. Anything less than that and I end up with pimples on my scalp. ouch.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Just rinse the sweat off as soon as possible. It's not necessary to wash it every day.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I do, but I mostly just do that because I can't stand the idea of having my face touch something that's been coated in all kinds of germs all day long when I go to sleep at night.
  • hoffman2300
    hoffman2300 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I so appreciate that you posted this question and that so many people have answered. I've been struggling with the exact same thing (including too much hair falling out in the shower!). From what I've read the last few weeks, sweat won't make your hair smell, but you might want to rinse your hair out if you feel gross. I usually at least rinse my hair but not always. It's been fine.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    ashleep423 wrote: »
    Dif I were to shower but just not wash my hair, that my head would smell of BO from letting sweat stay in it.

yeah, probably not. the kind of bacteria that generate b.o. tend to thrive more in warmth and dark places where air doesn't circulate much. so unless you're wearing a batting helmet most of the time, should be fine.

at least as far as i know. i do know that my kid was a fanatical ballplayer up to 18, and while the kid himself was mostly okay to be near even on an extremely hot day, the shock-absorbent padding inside his helmet got a bit awe-inspiring after a while.

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    I shampoo my hair every night. It is a bit oily and I feel like I need to. Plus it helps my allergies to rinse the pollen out before I go to bed. I sometimes shower more than once per day and I don't wash it every time I shower and I've never noticed my hair being stinky after I run. If you have chunks of hair falling out you should see your doctor. Over washing your hair might make it dry, but it shouldn't make it come out in chunks.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If chunks of hair are falling out that's not due to over washing. That would be some sort of deficiency in your diet or a medical issue. I wash my hair daily otherwise it looks nasty.
  • ashleep423
    ashleep423 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!

And I've gotten blood work done, there's no underlying medical problem. That's just been what my hair does for as long as I can remember. I have very fine, brittle, damaged hair. During the day I do shed a little bit but in the shower is when it really comes out.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I’m glad there’s no underlying medical problem. My sister has very thin, very fine hair. She started using Rogaine (Purchased at Walmart OTC) and it has really helped. Just a thought :)