To Fitbit or Not to Fitbit?

Options
I am trying to decide if i should get a Fitbit to assist in my new routines. I have some friends saying that they are extremely helpful, while others are saying the complete opposite. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I find them very helpful. I have the Charge 2 so I can use it to track pace while running and monitoring my heart rate. My sister uses hers mostly to track her sleep. It's a tool, the more you use it the more useful it will be, but it isn't necessary by any means.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I find my fitbit very helpful with keeping myself aware with how active I have been through out the day or not. It also helps with tracking my resting HRM and sleeping ( I have the Blaze) . But I will say this, if you purchase from a Target, Walmart or Bestbuy, pick up the warranty. Fitbit customer service is awesome and they will replace any defective item with in a year free of charge 1x. After a year a year you are on your own.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have the original....practically an antique...but it tracks my steps and works with MFP, so it always adds in some extra calories, which I like.
  • Jjrw6788
    Jjrw6788 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Works fine for me, Flex2 user here.
  • awildwomanatheart
    awildwomanatheart Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have an Onvo and love it! It tracks my steps, calories burned, sleep, bp and heart rate. It doesn't connect with MFP, but I just input things manually and it suits me just fine. I think you'll find a fitbit or similar very beneficial. Wishing you the best!
  • Midalisxo
    Midalisxo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. I have a blaze and I wear that thing everyday all day.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    @dani_1977 Did you have to replace your Fitbit?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It's been a good tool for getting a handle on my daily activity level, and the changes to it seasonally - for the purpose of not creating too much deficit and help maintaining.

Cardio workouts were already done with a Garmin system and tweaked for accuracy of calorie burn, lifting was and still is manually logged for accuracy.

I use another program for tracking workouts, so Fitbit app/site is limited even in that regard.

I have early step-based model too (hence the need to correct calorie burn), and have thought about it would be nice to have before waking restingHR in mornings. Through the day I can just take it. I know HR for a hard walk so anything during the day is less than that and not as meaningful.
    Sleep patterns and quality is pretty much known without outside aid (gee, woke up tired), so don't see that as useful.

So if I lost it, I could probably duplicate functions with a pedometer, but more manual work required to use the info probably with other tools, so the syncing is nice.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to just track steps and all the basics (so not sleep) I'd recommend the fitbit Zip. My mom got it for free at the hospital she works at to promote health awareness, but since she already had a Fitbit she gave me the free one. I love it! It's as basic as it gets but I still find it so motivating and encouraging when I look on the app/actual Fitbit to see how I did that day
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit Charge HR. I find it keeps me active during the day and helps me track my sleep at night. But like others have said, it is a tool. It's not going to make you do anything. It all starts with your own willingness and motivation to make a change.

Maybe a few comparison videos on Youtube are in order to get the gist of what each model is able to do and how they compare with other brands. There are many activity trackers on the market these days.

To determine which one you want, you need have an idea about what you want it to do for you. Alarms/reminders on MFP and other health apps on your cell phone might do the track but maybe not.
  • Rich71bat
    Rich71bat Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Fitbit challenges, motivates me into doing more. Feel free to message me if anyone would like to become a Fitbit friend!
  • ProdigiousDigit
    ProdigiousDigit Posts: 49 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I've found that it doesn't matter whether a Fitbit is accurate so much as that it is consistent with itself.

Once you've benchmarked what it takes to do 25k steps or 50 floors (or whatever your goal) in a day/week/month, you've established some analytical data that you can use to bootstrap yourself to the next level.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Alta (not the Heart rate model). I love it. It keeps me motivated for my steps, which right now is my main source of activity. I like the fact that the calorie burn from those steps transfers to MFP, enabling me to eat more. One other thing my Fitbit has is the one hour reminder to get up and complete 250 steps. I always end up doing more, but this reminder to move has really helped in controlling my pre-diabetes.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I had a Charge HR and loved it. Then I misplaced the charger and didn't wear one for about a week. During that time my activity dropped considerably especially my walking. I have arthritis and I need to walk a lot throughout the day to help alleviate the aches. I didn't realize how much it helped remind me to get up and move until I didn't have it one. I've since gotten the Alta HR which is a little smaller, cuter and gives some interesting insight into sleep which is so often neglected as an important element of a healthy lifestyle.

I do a lot of step based activity so it's ideal for me. But I understand they're not as helpful for non-step based activities.
  • didi0601
    didi0601 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Alta as well. Birthday present from my daughter. In a nutshell, it keeps me accountable! Feel free to friend me here or on Fitbit.
  • mmull3062
    mmull3062 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses and sorry that it took so long to respond. I fell off for a bit, but know I'm getting back on track and more motivated than ever. I did get my hands on an Alta (I believe) andbim trying it out now.
  • AshBeaner
    AshBeaner Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think purchasing a fitbit was a great idea
  • terry221
    terry221 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good tool to work with your weight loss and Fitness journey