Sport in your recovery from alcohol or drug abuse?

Options
sportinrecovery
sportinrecovery Posts: 2 Member
edited October 2017 in Success Stories
Does anybody feel that there sport or training has supported their recovery from alcohol or drug abuse? I am really curious based upon my own experience and as I am now doing a study on the topic. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Well, I think that if a person decides to eat better and exercise their mindset changes. They made the decision to become healthier, which will reinforce them to give up on bad habits. Another thing is that people with addictions don't really have a problem with the alcohol or drugs. They use that to medicate themselves so they cannot feel their feelings because their reality might be too painful. A big part of recovery from this is that they need to make lifestyle changes. They need to replace people, places, and things as well as work on the shame/trauma, which is at the root of it all. So, I think something like a sport or exercising can be used as something to fill the void and to take their mind off some of their emotional pain. A side benefit of being active and exercising is that it promotes the brain in releasing feel-good chemicals and gives a better sense of well-being. So I can see how this would help someone in recovery.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I replaced drugs with alcohol. Then I replaced alcohol with food. Now I know I need to get mentally healthy to beat the addictions. I have not replaced food with exercise, however. Exercise just does not seem to “do it for me” like drugs, alcohol, and food did.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    Sports give you a high just like, drugs, alcohol, pills,, and no hangovers and side effects. every cardio session I do gives me a high. its wonderful!, feel fabulous!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!