Frustrated that I gained

Options
So today I weighed in and I gained 0.2 lbs. GAINED! Ugh.

I have been keeping track of calories and staying under my budget. Not that 0.2 is a lot at all but geeez. After all this hard work I would have expected to have lost the 0.2 not gained it.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My condolences. There are few scales on the market which are consistent within .2 lbs, so for all you know, you might have lost that much. Not to mention that weight varies as much as several pounds over a day because of water and food in the digestive system. It's frustrating, but you have to learn to look at the long term trends, not the day to day fluctuations.
  • VonB_777
    VonB_777 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Weight doesn't tell the whole story. Measurements are so much more accurate since water weight and added muscle can interfere with your numbers on the scale. Sometimes it will go up before it goes down. I know I've always fluctuated throughout the week even at my perfect weight which I was at for years.

There are plenty of before and after pictures you can see online where people look so much better in their after photos but they actually weigh more than they did in the before. So don't let this demotivate you. Look it up, you might feel better!
  • desnyder210
    desnyder210 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm just frustrated but I'm not giving up. Hopefully all my hard work will show up next week. :smile:
  • VonB_777
    VonB_777 Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I just thought of this - YouTube Simon Sinek do you love your wife.

It seems off topic but he touches on a good point about weight loss progress I think you'll find helpful. I know for me, listening to him put it the way he did was a useful motivator to keep going.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    .2 is not a crisis!
  • desnyder210
    desnyder210 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I watched the video. It is a good motivator for sure. Thank you!
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in maintainence after losing 13lbs. Since hitting goal, I've been using Libra to record my weight every day. It seems to calm my brain of "gains". I've been every where from 147.6 to 149.4 in the last 2 weeks. But my trend has been the same (148.4) over the last 2 weeks. Those highs and lows really don't matter. I really didn't "gain" fat or "lose" fat, I actually stayed pretty much the same...even though the scale doesn't say that.

So, if those ups and downs freak you out, I suggest you do the same.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I get this. I was up almost 2 lbs from eating a high sodium meal (tacos). I didn't go over my calorie budget though and am just trusting the process that I am eating at a deficit. One tip - if you have a digital scale, make sure it's level. Press on one side to see if it wobbles. If so, adjust to where it no longer wobbles.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    if .2lbs freaks the op out, what's going to happen when they have a nice meal with a ton of sodium and gain 5lbs over night? Their head going to explode? .2 is nothing. Your body can fluctuate based on water/waste at any time, and will frequently. Don't weigh in daily, weigh in weekly at the most.
  • pjbarclay55
    pjbarclay55 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Water is your best friend but when it comes to the scale your worst enemy. I have to think about what I ate for the last 3 days before I think of jumping on the scale if I don't want to be pissed off. However, I check myself out in the mirror as often as possible, only way to see changes sometimes.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I hope my old-fashioned dial scale never dies. I'll never get a digital scale because I cannot be bothered by .5 or .2 lbs! I gain that just by drinking water or eating something. The minute fluctuations are nothing to worry about. Yes, track your progress regularly and pay attention to large changes, but stressing over the small ones is a waste of energy.