SERIOUS PROBLEM!!!........ NEED HELP......

Options
hey folks...

I fractured my foot (ankle) a couple f days back. Went to the doc and now my leg will be under plaster for one n half month... that's right... which means no movement..not even walking for an entire one n half month.....

The doctor also asked me to make sure i dont put on any weight as people in this condition tend to put on a lot of weight coz all they (including me) do is eat, sit n sleep.

i was already suffering from weight issues as i am 22 years old and already around 20 kgs over weight.

Now i really wana loose weight or atleast maintain it.... CANT DO ANY KIND OF EXCERCISE.....

please please help me choose a diet plan or anything which can help me regulate or lose this weight through this phase.

i Dont want this fracture to add up to my miseries...

thnx ppl...

umm just to add a bit... at the moment i cant do any kind of excercise..i cant even stand or even move my leg.... whole day my leg is in one position coz it hurts like hell if i move it.... :(

anyway, yea i should monitor my calories... and what about the MEDICINES?? im eating a lot of medicines these days... where does that count go??? (Is it a stupid quest) =/

Replies

• szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    Don't go over your calorie limit on here. It'll keep you losing weight, perhaps not as quickly as with exercise but food is the most important. If you can get little weights that you can do arm exercises, and perhaps crunches! Mainly, stay within your calorie limit! Make sure it's under the lowest level since you won't be walking around much.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if u stick to your cals that MFP sets you to lose either half a pound or 1 pound a week then that should work as it gives you a deficit without exercise anyway. Obviously have your activity level at sedentary.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Try balance ball exercises?
  • RoseVernon
    Options
    Stay under your calorie limits! Good luck!
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I know in the 30 day shred, one of the cardio exercises is punching... could do that to get your heartrate up, without having to stand. Yes, it may look a little odd, but might help? The hand weights and crunches suggestions are good too. You might want to check out exercises that can be done in an office (generally done while sitting).

Edited to add- leg lifts. Obviously don't do anything to further injure yourself, but maybe you can use the weight you have on your foot and leg to help with the workouts?
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Are you on crutches? Combined I've probably spent about a year on crutches in my life. As long as you make sure you use correct form (don't let your armpits touch the top, don't **** your wrists on the grip), it can be a great workout. By the end I could keep up with my soccer team when they went jogging.
  • clw_888
    clw_888 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    As the above poster said...I would go in and adjust your goals and activity level to completely sedentary and no workouts. That will give you the calories you need to eat to still lose without activity. Good luck and listen to the doc so you heal up correctly and can get back to pounding the pavement! :happy:
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    If you keep your calories under control you will maintain. You can probably do some ab work and keep your foot out of the picture. I've also seen what appears to be an exercise bike for the arms--supposed to get your heartrate up. And what about bench work for your upperbody? Be creative. There are a lot of things you cannot do while your foot mends, but there are a lot of things you CAN do. Don't let your foot be your excuse to let yourself go for a month and a half!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Stay within calorie ranges, do upper body exercises, and keep your self busy with your hands because with not being able to move much you may get bored and if anything like be db be boredom eating, Hope everything goes well and your leg gets healed
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    You may try doing a 30 or 45 day Paleo Challenge. By setting yourself up with a food challenge you will be less tempted to cheat. I do this during stressful times at work when I'm likely to eat poorly.
  • lulutm
    lulutm Posts: 57
    Options
    95% of weight loss is intake. So, set your calorie goals and stay under, at all costs. Exercise is great for your health, but in truth, it is not that beneficial to weight loss. Changing your eating habits will do more for you than exercise, every day of the week.
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!! You still can exercise. Do anything that involves the upper body. Use weights, do torso twists, boxing, etc.. Remain w/in your calorie goal and you should do just fine! Good luck!!
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Watch your calorie intake. You'll need to change your intake based on the fact that won't get in any activity so you may need to lower your amount.

And you can still do arm exercises! Like simple curls and such. Those will get your heart rate up and help you maintain! Don't rule out all exercises just b/c you can't use your leg....it sucks, but you can do it! There are a lot of exercises out there you can do while sitting for your upper body. Good luck :)
  • RuchikaPal
    RuchikaPal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    umm just to add a bit... at the moment i cant do any kind of excercise..i cant even stand or even move my leg.... whole day my leg is in one position coz it hurts like hell if i move it.... :(

anyway, yea i should monitor my calories... and what about the MEDICINES?? im eating a lot of medicines these days... where does that count go??? (Is it a stupid quest) =/
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    watch your sugar and artificial sweeteners, they'll increase your appetite and make in harder to stay in your calorie range.

keep your mind and hands busy... maybe knitting? it can be kind of addictive and you get cool stuff when you're done. You could have a scarf or afghan just in time for the fall.
  • kcleslie2113
    kcleslie2113 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can always do seated punches. They'll help with cardio as well as tone your abs up!
  • RuchikaPal
    RuchikaPal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Are you on crutches? Combined I've probably spent about a year on crutches in my life. As long as you make sure you use correct form (don't let your armpits touch the top, don't **** your wrists on the grip), it can be a great workout. By the end I could keep up with my soccer team when they went jogging.

no, my doctor recommended a walker..and thats what i use to move around, mainly just use it when i have to go to the loo...
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your ankle. :( I hope the healing time goes quickly for you! I would say to watch your intake and do arm weights, etc. Some don't even excerise and still lose weight.
  • mefeight1964
    mefeight1964 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Keep a set of dumbbells handy and you can at least work your upper body. Gaining a little muscle mass will help you burn a few extra calories as well as helping you feel as though you're doing something good for yourself. That alone can help you keep your eye on your goals throughout your recovery.

If you stay within your calorie goal, you can still lose weight!

Hang in there!! Praying for a speedy and complete recovery. :)
  • watcherII
    watcherII Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    being a klutz who can trip over air, i feel your pain! i often find myself in the position of not being able to move a whole lot. have you heard of isometrics? a lot of it is just using your muscles against themselves. okay, you can't move around. you can tighten your abs and release, 10 seconds tightened, 10 seconds relaxed. if doing a lot of arm movement hurts, try putting your hands in a praying position, elbows up, and push your hands against each other for 10 secs. then relax, repeat. and remember, your leg won't hurt this bad for long, and nobody was ever rendered completely immobile by a broken ankle. once the initial shock and pain pass, in a few days, you'll feel different, more able to work out your upper body and such. my uncle once broke his ankle in 3 places, needed a plate and 2 pins in it, and the (crazy) man managed to clean the whole house daily, including vacuuming on his knees! where there's a will, there's a way, so give yourself a few days to recover, change your profile to sedentary, stay under your cal limit, and find ways to get in some movement. bicep curls, butt clenches, things like this won't jar your leg and will help keep your fitness level up. i admire you for wanting to keep to your plan. me, i'd probably take it as a free pass to lay on my butt and eat bonbons all day! you can do this, you know you can! it's just about modifying your fitness plan for a bit. :)