• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    urshela111 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Last year i lost 9 kgs in 3 months and after that i plateaud at 60kgs for 2 months. I gave up because it affected it mentally. I started working in the hotel industry and over the course of 9 months i gained back the 9 kgs.
    Now its been 2 weeks since iv been working out, but im scared il plateau again and the frustration will be back.

P.s (iv read everything about plateaus)
    If you read EVERYTHING about plateaus, then you should know that they are actually RARE.

A plateau in weightloss is 6 weeks or more of NO WEIGHT MOVEMENT (up or down) while one has been completely consistent with calorie intake and exercise. That would mean that any change in that 6 weeks, which would include eating something you usually don't or doing an exercise or duration you usually don't, exempts if from being a plateau because the consistency was lost.

What you likely experienced was a stall and many times it happens because initially people are TOO AGGRESSIVE in their calorie deficit. It usually will take the body about 2 months or so to adapt to that deficit and then it reacts in kind by accommodating it by matching metabolic rate to the calories taken in.
    I can't truly say what happened because I have no idea about you, but in almost all my clients who stall, there's something they've done differently in their routine that likely caused it after they were being honest with themselves.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Iv been in the 61 weight range for quite a weeks. And all my measurements are same.
    What do you reckon i do now?
    Will uping my calorie intake to 1500 and eating 50% of the excercise calories help? Should take off from working out for few weeks?
    Sorry for bombarding you with questions.
    Are you not eating some of your exercise calories back? Because if so, then your deficit is likely too high.
    What are your stats? Height, weight, age and activity level?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Nope i dont eat my excercise calories back.
    Im 5'3, 23 years old and weigh 134 lbs. I workout for an hour, 6 days a week.

I'm 5'2" and my goal weight is 135 pounds. Right now I weigh about 177 and am losing a happy 1.5 pounds a week on an average 1750 calories a day, but I've estimated that unless I reduce that average, my rate of loss will eventually slow to the point that it will take three months to go from 155 to 145, and another six months to go from 145 to 135. And hey, I'm really comfortable eating 1750 calories so maybe I'll just stick to that. I'd rather get there slow and have it last than get there fast and be miserable. The point being, weight loss is slow when you get down into a normal BMI. That's just the way it works. You're fine. Losing 2 pounds a week at your weight would be very unhealthy, and isn't a large part of the point of losing weight to improve your health?
  • urshela111
    urshela111 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Last year i lost 9 kgs in 3 months and after that i plateaud at 60kgs for 2 months. I gave up because it affected it mentally. I started working in the hotel industry and over the course of 9 months i gained back the 9 kgs.
    Now its been 2 weeks since iv been working out, but im scared il plateau again and the frustration will be back.

P.s (iv read everything about plateaus)
    If you read EVERYTHING about plateaus, then you should know that they are actually RARE.

A plateau in weightloss is 6 weeks or more of NO WEIGHT MOVEMENT (up or down) while one has been completely consistent with calorie intake and exercise. That would mean that any change in that 6 weeks, which would include eating something you usually don't or doing an exercise or duration you usually don't, exempts if from being a plateau because the consistency was lost.

What you likely experienced was a stall and many times it happens because initially people are TOO AGGRESSIVE in their calorie deficit. It usually will take the body about 2 months or so to adapt to that deficit and then it reacts in kind by accommodating it by matching metabolic rate to the calories taken in.
    I can't truly say what happened because I have no idea about you, but in almost all my clients who stall, there's something they've done differently in their routine that likely caused it after they were being honest with themselves.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Iv been in the 61 weight range for quite a weeks. And all my measurements are same.
    What do you reckon i do now?
    Will uping my calorie intake to 1500 and eating 50% of the excercise calories help? Should take off from working out for few weeks?
    Sorry for bombarding you with questions.
    Are you not eating some of your exercise calories back? Because if so, then your deficit is likely too high.
    What are your stats? Height, weight, age and activity level?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Nope i dont eat my excercise calories back.
    Im 5'3, 23 years old and weigh 134 lbs. I workout for an hour, 6 days a week.

I'm 5'2" and my goal weight is 135 pounds. Right now I weigh about 177 and am losing a happy 1.5 pounds a week on an average 1750 calories a day, but I've estimated that unless I reduce that average, my rate of loss will eventually slow to the point that it will take three months to go from 155 to 145, and another six months to go from 145 to 135. And hey, I'm really comfortable eating 1750 calories so maybe I'll just stick to that. I'd rather get there slow and have it last than get there fast and be miserable. The point being, weight loss is slow when you get down into a normal BMI. That's just the way it works. You're fine. Losing 2 pounds a week at your weight would be very unhealthy, and isn't a large part of the point of losing weight to improve your health?

Definitely to imorove my health and fitness!
    I wish i took is slower too.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Fursian wrote: »
    This kinda reminds me of the cat that never got the memo about cats and water, and went swimming.

When I started, I fortunately paid no attention to that buzzkill of a word, plateau (never got the memo). Really believe it helped not knowing, for me. When I stalled, I gathered it was just for the usual array of reasons, and that the scale would eventually shift, and it did.

Kept a diary and a pair of kitchen scales, and just pressed on.

Yeah, I never got that memo either.

Sure, there was a little bit of up and down because of water retention, but the overall trend was pretty consistently downward.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I think you need more help with your mindset and developing a healthier image. Everything else will follow after that. I see these kinds of threads all the time and people ignore their shame and other emotional issues. This is what is causing all your frustrations.