Gym again

Options
Hey guys, I recently got back to the gym after stopping for about two months, had been on it for a month and a half. I want to aim for at least five days a week but my real question is about my diet.

I am 5'8 75kgs and I'd like to get to 65kgs. Is it recommended that I alternate between fasting and restricting my calories to about 900 or one meal a day.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    1) You shouldn't eat only 900 calories per day.

2) Meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Are you saying you want to alternate between fasting on one day and only eating 900 on the other? That's a terrible plan. If you're doing something like eating 900 on one day and closer to maintenance on the other then that's fine if that works for you but isn't required.

One meal a day or 10 meals a day - makes no difference - do what works for you.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    No
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    ^ What all of them said. Bad idea.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Who recommended this?
  • FitGamerSmoak
    FitGamerSmoak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    yeah that doesn't sound healthy. and you need energy to work out and help fuel your body, literally. At that rate you are going to be starving yourself.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    It is recommended that you set up MFP to lose 0.5 pounds/0.25kg per week, get a caslorie level recommendation, and eat that many calories daily, plus eat back most or all of your exercise calories, too. After a month, if you're losing faster than that target rate, eat a little more; if slower, eat a little less.

That is, do that if you want to be healthy, and look your best, throughout and after the weight loss.

Granny sez.

Seriously, at age 59-60, I lost handily on twice the calories you're proposing. Patience! (Also health.)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Leaving aside the fact that you really need to eat a lot more calories than you're proposing, the only person who can tell you what meal timing works best for you is you. Meal timing doesn't effect weight loss except as a tool for managing satiety - i.e. how full we feel. Some people find fasting or eating a single large meal keeps them feeling full. Other people (myself included) prefer many smaller meals/snacks throughout the day. So long as you keep to a deficit, you'll lose weight. But you need to put in the work yourself to figure out what works best for you.