How do vegan meals compare calorie-wise?

How do vegan meals or diets compare to regular ones as far as calories go? Is eating vegan pancakes, mac n cheese, etc lower calorie than the regular stuff?

I'm not interested in going full vegan, but I'd like to know if by incorporating vegan substitutes into meals I love I could cut calories while still eating the things I enjoy. This question could apply to other diets as well, like gluten-free (for example, subbing cauliflower for rice or pizza crust or other carb-y, bread-y things) or paleo.

I'm not interested in doing these diets completely because I know they're really just fads and overall don't make a huge difference in health over just eating healthier in general and I don't want to cut things out of my diet completely. But by following the occasional vegan recipe, could I cut calories?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    How do vegan meals or diets compare to regular ones as far as calories go? Is eating vegan pancakes, mac n cheese, etc lower calorie than the regular stuff?

I'm not interested in going full vegan, but I'd like to know if by incorporating vegan substitutes into meals I love I could cut calories while still eating the things I enjoy. This question could apply to other diets as well, like gluten-free (for example, subbing cauliflower for rice or pizza crust or other carb-y, bread-y things) or paleo.

I'm not interested in doing these diets completely because I know they're really just fads and overall don't make a huge difference in health over just eating healthier in general and I don't want to cut things out of my diet completely. But by following the occasional vegan recipe, could I cut calories?

Not by default. Any diet can be as low or high calorie as you make it. I have a couple of vegan dishes I do that are pretty much calorie bombs, but also very healthy.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    I think you are asking if you switched to a vegan if it would be easier to cut calories?

That answer is no. I'm pretty sure every way of eating has "calorie bombs". Carnivore (what I call Keto), Omnivore (what I call what I do, no restrictions), Vegetarian, or Vegan all have foods that are high in calories.

In a perfect world, I tend to feel better when I eat mostly natural sources of protein, fat and carbs (so lean meat, veggies, fruits, legumes, non-processed grains, etc and reduce dairy, fried food and processed food), but I do know that I'll never be able to follow that ALL THE TIME. Sometimes you'll be in situations where you either eat what's on the menu, at a friend's house, at a party, etc or you just don't eat. And I know NOT EATING, for me, is a no go. So I live by the 80/20 rule. If 80% of the time I'm eating things that make me feel good, 20% of the time I can eat things outside my "perfect world".
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Low calorie changes for recipes..........

You are better off starting with your favorite recipe & then finding a light version too. Then you can pick and choose the changes you are willing to make.

Straight off - more veggies in most things. Mac'n Cheese with broccoli or cauliflower: http://www.skinnytaste.com/skinny-baked-broccoli-macaroni-and/

Lower fat cheeses & milk / stronger flavored cheese: http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/recipe-makeovers/light-fettuccine-alfredo
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    You won't automatically cut calories by following a vegan diet or any of the other diets you mentioned. Within any diet, you can find high-calorie and low-calorie foods, and you can easily overeat any kind of food. You should follow one of those diets if it helps you achieve other health or personal goals, but as far as weight loss is concerned, none of them are inherently better or worse than any other way of eating. You still need to log your food accurately and maintain a calorie deficit.
  • Caroline393
    Caroline393 Posts: 71 Member
    Thanks for all the responses! That's what I was afraid of, I saw a Tasty video for a "healthy" vegan meal that involved grinding cashews as a substitute. When I entered the amount of cashews into MFP to see how many calories that was, I was pretty shocked haha.

I guess I'm just trying to find a way to eat delicious cheesy things and bread-y things without bombing my calorie goals. I've been wanting to try cauliflower as a sub for carbs, so I need to get on that!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Thanks for all the responses! That's what I was afraid of, I saw a Tasty video for a "healthy" vegan meal that involved grinding cashews as a substitute. When I entered the amount of cashews into MFP to see how many calories that was, I was pretty shocked haha.

I guess I'm just trying to find a way to eat delicious cheesy things and bread-y things without bombing my calorie goals. I've been wanting to try cauliflower as a sub for carbs, so I need to get on that!

Here's the thing...if you use substitutes for cheese or bread, you won't get your cheesy or bread-y fix. By the same token, cauliflower rice isn't a true substitute for carbs. You can absolutely have cauliflower instead of rice but it's a completely different dish.

Trying to use foods as substitutes for others isn't the greatest game plan. Ultimately they won't satisfy and you'll still be left with your initial craving. If you really want a certain type of food, it's best to let yourself have it. Just limit the portion and log the calories appropriately.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Cauliflower has carbohydrates, although it is lower carbohydrate than some of the foods people are using it as a replacement for (potatoes, rice, etc). I enjoy making mashed potatoes with half potatoes and half cauliflower -- if you boil them together, they have a similar cooking time and you can just mash them together. I do this to control calories, not carbohydrates, but it works really well for me.

• twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member

Yeah, nuts are calorie bombs lol. There are several other recipes for a cheeze sauce that's made with potatoes and carrots and a few recipes that are made with cauliflower.

Although, a word of caution. If you make vegan cheeze thinking it's dairy cheese you will be greatly disappointed. ;)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member

Cauliflower has carbohydrates, although it is lower carbohydrate than some of the foods people are using it as a replacement for (potatoes, rice, etc). I enjoy making mashed potatoes with half potatoes and half cauliflower -- if you boil them together, they have a similar cooking time and you can just mash them together. I do this to control calories, not carbohydrates, but it works really well for me.

This is brilliant.

I do a lot of zucchini/pasta dishes. Like where there would be 200 calories of spaghetti I sub zucchini for most of it and end up with less than 100 cals. Tastes so similar.
  • janejellyroll

This is brilliant.

I do a lot of zucchini/pasta dishes. Like where there would be 200 calories of spaghetti I sub zucchini for most of it and end up with less than 100 cals. Tastes so similar.

If you like broccoli and potatoes, you can do the same thing and make broccoli mashed potatoes. Tastes great with a bit of whatever cheese/cheese substitute you enjoy (I mix in some nutritional yeast).

I do the same thing you do with zucchini -- it's especially great for those days when I'm craving a big bowl of food because you can have *so many* zucchini noodles for a small number of calories.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    edited October 2017

Veganism is not a fad; but veganism as a way of cutting calories is a fad. There's a difference. If the underlying ethics of veganism don't resonate with you then it may not be for you.

Also, "healthy" does not mean low-calorie. We need to de-couple the two. Nutrition is multidimensional. There are many benefits to eating diverse plant sources instead of relying on animal foods for nutrition. Nuts don't contain cholesterol, hormones, or lactose, unlike milk; though both contain fat, protein, vitamins and minerals. Whether it is or isn't healthier depends on your body's tolerance to certain foods as well as your individual dietary needs, which are more complex than just caloric content.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    My daughter is vegan and she has a lot of calories and not necessarily healthy foods in her diet.
  • janejellyroll
    timtam163 wrote: »

Veganism is not a fad; but veganism as a way of cutting calories is a fad. There's a difference. If the underlying ethics of veganism don't resonate with you then it may not be for you.

Also, "healthy" does not mean low-calorie. We need to de-couple the two. Nutrition is multidimensional. There are many benefits to eating diverse plant sources instead of relying on animal foods for nutrition. Nuts don't contain cholesterol, hormones, or lactose, unlike milk; though both contain fat, protein, vitamins and minerals. Whether it is or isn't healthier depends on your body's tolerance to certain foods as well as your individual dietary needs, which are more complex than just caloric content.

Good point -- in the context of a balanced vegan diet where one is meeting calorie goals, a cashew-based sauce can be quite healthy. You're getting some protein and fat, along with vitamins like E, K, and B6, and minerals like iron, copper, magnesium, and selenium. And since vegans are typically using this as a stand-in for equally calorie-dense foods (things like dairy based sauces), it often balances out.
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    I have to eat gluten free for medical reasons. The calories of gluten free bread is equal or more than regular bread.
    The same with cookies, snacks etc. Just eat less of the bread and snacks that you enjoy.
    If you want to cut back on calories eat more veggies that are low calories. Google volume eating. There are good recipes on veggie based meals.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member

Honestly, if I want bread or cheese, I want actual bread or cheese. Nothing else is the same for me. (I also despise cauliflower, though.)

I just eat a smaller amount of higher quality bread/cheese because I find that more satisfying than lots of low quality bread/cheese. Some bakeries sell fresh demi baguettes that are about two servings, so I buy that instead of a standard size loaf. Then I get a small amount of nice cheese from the cheese counter. There are also some good low-calorie spreads that I enjoy on my fresh bread. If you have a Trader Joe's, I like their bruschetta and eggplant spreads. Pair that with a big salad and/or a light vegetable soup, and you have yourself a nice dinner that won't use up too much of your calorie budget.

Mmm, bread.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Not at all in fact most vegan alternatives are just as high in calories or more. (Vegan cookies, bars, cheese, etc are usually more than their low calorie dairy alternatives).
  • janejellyroll
    Not at all in fact most vegan alternatives are just as high in calories or more. (Vegan cookies, bars, cheese, etc are usually more than their low calorie dairy alternatives).

There is a wide variety of vegan cookies and bars, I don't know if one could conclude that they're usually more than non-vegan cookies and bars.

Also, if you're comparing regular vegan cheese to cheese that is specifically designed to be lower calorie by reducing fat, it's not surprising that it has more calories. It's like comparing two different types of products. Anyway, for people who are interested, there are lower calorie cheese alternatives that can be made at home (usually by reducing the fat and using tofu or pureed vegetables as a base).