I have a problem with eating out

Options
I recently got my first car, and I just started college. Before this, I rarely ever went out to eat and always ate at home. Now every time I get out of class, I'm eager to go to a fast food restaurant, and I just feel so stupid because every time o tell myself that I won't go out to eat, I end up going. I used to be really fit but I'm not as fit anymore. Please can I get some tips as this is a very difficult thing for me and I really want to change.

Replies

• whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Look up the calories of your favourite fast food foods. That definitely turned me off of fast food. But I also ate fast food for the first time in months today, it was totally worth it and fit in my calorie goal.

Maybe make it a one day a week thing? But make sure it fits in your calorie goal. I totally understand the feeling of stupidity and guilt but you need to create new healthy habits and only you can do that. Take it one day at a time. If you cave and get the fast food don't beat yourself up over it because for me that only made things worse. Just try again.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Meal prepping might be an idea for you. If you prep your foods for the next day (3 days, 5 days, whatever), what excuse do you have for eating out? If you don't go home and have that dinner that's waiting for you already cooked, it's going to go off and you're just throwing your money and time you spent making it in the bin.

the mealprepsunday group on reddit is a good one if you're looking for ideas.

Also, even if you do have a car, make the active choice to walk more. Just because you have the car, doesn't mean you need to use it all the time (although I can understand if it's your first car, you really want to use it!). If where you're going is a short distance (say, less than a mile), vow that you will walk, not drive. And if you're not driving, you're not spending cash on fuel. That means you can keep it for something else ^_^
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,480 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me before I discovered breakfast.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,038 Member
    Options
    spikeshem wrote: »
    I recently got my first car, and I just started college. Before this, I rarely ever went out to eat and always ate at home. Now every time I get out of class, I'm eager to go to a fast food restaurant, and I just feel so stupid because every time o tell myself that I won't go out to eat, I end up going. I used to be really fit but I'm not as fit anymore. Please can I get some tips as this is a very difficult thing for me and I really want to change.

Park the car and start walking.

In my case, my husband has the car. I get around by bus and by walking. If I'm tempted to go somewhere to get food, I've got to walk to get there. Either I do, and I get exercise doing it ... or I can't be bothered.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I have a handful of fast food meals that fit my calorie goals. Pre-log what you want and decide if it's worth the calories. Some days that answer may be yes, others no. Try and set small goals such as only eat out 2 times this week and have easy to prepare/already prepped meals at home.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Join a gym and drive there instead ? :)
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I leave food in the car, so when I get in I can start eating, rather than drive to get fast food.
  • kcastagnoli
    kcastagnoli Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Sounds stupid but what helps me is if I leave my debt card at home. Can't stop and get fast food if you can't pay for it lol

That is a great idea! And you look amazing! Congratulations on your success! You go girl!
  • kcastagnoli
    kcastagnoli Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    spikeshem wrote: »

I haven't tried this yet, but I've been thinking of adding a meal named "things I wish I hadn't eaten". Maybe that will help me really know and really accept, believe and act on those beliefs. As a matter of fact, I'll go do that now!

Also, for my body, the more I DO resist something, the easier it gets. It's like that old adage that it takes X amount of times to create a habit. Your body is adaptable, including your appetite :) good luck!